Join a world-class academic healthcare system, Ingalls Memorial Hospital, as a Clinical Lab Associate (Phlebotomist) at the Ingalls Family Care Centers. In this role as a Clinical Lab Associate, you will work in partnership with other laboratory team members and departments, patient care services, and other hospital departments. The person in this role is required to perform at least phlebotomy, order entry, central processing, EKG's, performing laboratory testing, and assist with DOT's and BAT's as needed. When full competency at level 1 has been achieved, the person may be elevated to CLA level 2. The Lab Services Center are available for urgent or standard result times. We can analyze specimens at the cellular, chemical, endocrinological or immunologic levels. Through numerous lab specialties and processes, we offer an expansive array of tests performed by experienced laboratory professionals to provide insights on your health. You may be required to rotate locations and shift hours based on need to Ingalls Family Care Centers (Calumet City, Flossmoor, Tinley Park).
Under the leadership of the Director of Laboratory Services and Laboratory Supervisors, performs assigned supportive work in the delivery of patient care, involving multiple office, clerical and technical duties. Interacts, intervenes, and problem solves to ensure exceptional customer service by greeting patients, responding to telephone inquiries, phones/faxes and distributes test results. Processes human specimens for delivery to laboratory departments for testing. Performs limited number of technical procedures, for which training has been given and competency demonstrated. Performs blood specimen collection within compliance of Federal Regulatory Guidelines. Demonstrates necessary skills and knowledge through competencies for specific skills; all appropriate to the age of patients served as delineated by competency tools. Performs other duties as assigned.
Essential Job Functions
- Performs assigned supportive work in conjunction with the delivery of patient care, involving multiple office, clerical, technical duties, venipuncture, blood specimen collection, obtain EKG, and functional skills.
- Interacts, intervenes, and problem solves to ensure exceptional customer service by greeting patients, responding to telephone inquiries, phones/faxes/distributes test results.
- Processes human specimens for delivery to specific laboratory departments for testing.
- Performs technical procedures, for which training has been given and competency demonstrated.
- Utilizes interactive processes which will contribute to exceeding the expectation of patients, physicians, families or significant others in the provision of high quality, cost effective care and treatments.
- Demonstrates necessary skills and knowledge to provide care for patients according to unit specific competencies.
- Various degrees of unpredictability can occur from day to day which will require the individual to adapt by adjusting as required in work schedules and assignments.
- Demonstrates a working knowledge of the HIS and LIS systems, and progress to functional capabilities with the hospital billing computer systems.
- Handles specimens upon receipt in lab following the policies and procedures of the Department of Laboratory Services
- Prepares specimens to be sent to outside reference laboratories in accordance with requirements specified for each referral laboratory
- Ensures outpatients receive excellent customer service when presenting at the laboratory for specimen collection. Ensures proper registration and ordering of tests
- Will be required to learn to run lab testing
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Must have completed accredited phlebotomy course or program
- AHA CPR Certification
Successful completion of accredited phlebotomy program or certification by:
- ASCPPP (American Society of Clinical Pathologists)
- AMT (American Medical Technologist)
- NCCLSSS (National Committee for Clinical Laboratory Standards)
- NPAAA (National Phlebotomy Association)
- ASCLSSS (American Society for Clinical Laboratory Scientists)
- NCAA (National Certifying Agency)
- NHAAA (National Healthcare Association)
- Job Type/FTE: Registry
- Shift: Days
- Unit/Department: FCC Labs
- CBA Code: Non-Union
Apply on company website