Intertek RiSE (research, innovation, safety, and solutions engineering) provides consultation and research services to global, brand-name companies involved in the design, manufacturing, and distribution of consumer products. Our RiSE team provides a comprehensive consumer experience by building, protecting, and enhancing our clients' brands. Through proven, science-based methods, RiSE helps clients ensure their product's safety, quality, and performance. The Product Safety and Engineering Manager role is part of the HERS service line which helps their clients prevent serious injuries and recalls by ensuring their products are essentially safe in both reality and in perception.
Business and Team Management
As a leader on the RiSE team, the ideal Product Safety and Engineering Manager candidate will be tasked with managing multiple direct reports and be in parallel situations to make quick and accurate decisions. This leader will enable staff career growth, as well as identify opportunities for business growth for the RiSE team. Not only will this role rely upon their technical experience within the product safety field, but also be adept at identifying when to engage with legal, compliance, and senior leadership within the RiSE and HERS business lines to ensure proper workflow and client support.
Product Safety Leadership
As a member of the RiSE team, we value the product safety community and industry. It is expected that the Product Safety and Engineering Manager will passionately participate in industry subcommittee meetings, present at conferences, volunteer with advocacy groups, and identify opportunities for networking with likeminded folks. Where and when a training is needed for the staff, this role will be expected to build the necessary training programs with external professionals.
At any given time, the Product Safety and Engineering Manager will be quoting, analysing, summarizing, and delivering multiple scopes of work across a variety of clients and topics. It is expected that this role understands staff allocation to ensure clients are prioritized appropriately, and that clients always have a specific staff member to contact. Beyond, it is critical that this role liaise with clients to build personal and professional relationships
As a leader, the Product Safety and Engineering Manager is expected to gain mastery of proprietary assessment methods, and an intuitive grasp of RiSE risk assessment methodology. Knowing why assessments exists, and how they work, with a mindset to continuously improve upon decades of research must be both a short term and long-term mindset for a successful manager. It is paramount this leader is able to creatively apply concepts of human physiology, physics, mechanical/material properties, statistical analyses and design of experiments, amongst other sciences to successfully identify and recommend solutions to client inquiries.
How will you make an impact at Intertek RiSE:
• Determine and define project scope and objectives internally and externally
• Predict resources needed to reach objectives and manage resources in an effective and efficient manner
• Prepare proposals for scope of work and resource requirements
• Develop and manage a detailed project schedule and work plan
• Provide project updates on a consistent basis to various stakeholders about strategy, adjustments, and progress
• Serve as point-of-contact to Clients
• Familiar with consumer product industry best practices, techniques, and standards
• Monitor progress and make adjustments as needed
• Measure project performance to identify areas for improvement
• *Manage several junior and mid-level project managers/safety engineers*
• Motivated/fulfilled by educating clients, staff, and/or completing innovative project work
What it takes to be successful in this role:
• Bachelor's degree in STEM, business, psychology, or a related field. Master's degree a plus
• ~10 years related product safety and project management experience
• Proven ability to apply knowledge of human factors principles (human performance and limitations – perceptual, cognitive, motor skills, anthropometric) and techniques (user research, user-interface design, usability testing)
• Project Management Professional (PMP) certification a plus
• Proven ability to solve problems creatively
• Strong familiarity with project management software tools, methodologies, and best practices
• Demonstrable experience in consumer product industry design, manufacturing, sourcing, quality control, and/or regulation
• Experience seeing projects through the full life cycle, including report writing
• Must have exceptional written and verbal skills
• Excellent analytical skills
• Ability to travel internationally when deemed personally safe
• Strong interpersonal skills and extremely resourceful, with proven ability to complete projects according to outlined scope, budget, and timeline
Why work at Intertek?
Intertek is a world leader in the $250 billion Quality Assurance market, with a proven, high-quality business model and a global network of customer-focused operations and highly engaged subject matter experts. At Intertek, we exercise our spirit of innovation, the passion of our people and our unmatched customer commitment to realize our purpose of making the world an ever better, safer, and more sustainable place for all. Learn more about Our History and What We Do.
Intertek is committed to a safe work environment for our employees and clients. Learn more about our COVID-19 Policy.
What we have to offer:
When Working with Intertek, you can expect salary and benefit package competitively placed within the local market, including medical, dental, vision, life, disability, 401(k) with company match, tuition reimbursement and more.
Intertek is a drug-free workplace. As a condition of employment, all hires are required to pass a pre-employment drug test.
Intertek believes that Our People are our strongest tool for success. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against applicants due to veteran status or on the basis of disability. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, or who need assistance applying, please email email@example.com or call 1-877-694-8543 (option #5) to speak with a member of the HR Department.
Apply on company website