Title: Clerk Typist- Prep/Scan
Department: Health Information Services
Position Number: 50017280
Hours of Work: Temporary Part-Time Position (approximately 6 months)
Rotating Shifts: 0700-1500, 1500-2300, 2300-0700
Pay Band: Band-B $21.879-$24.244
Location: Kingston General Hospital Site
In accordance with Article 9.05, where the previous incumbent returns to this position within the thirty (30) day trial period this position shall be deemed not vacant and the posting will be cancelled. Should the vacancy be cancelled, applicants to this posting shall be notified.
Please note, this posting identifies the current shifts that apply to the position control number. However, this does not guarantee the permanence of the shift time or work assignment for the position. The Hospital reserves its Management Rights under the CUPE Collective Agreement to make changes to shift time and work assignment as it deems necessary.
Scanning, Indexing and Quality Assurance of electronic and paper based Patient Records for Inpatient Units, Clinical Areas, Same Day Care and Emergency, including maintenance and locating. Input into multiple computer systems. Release of information as required
Within this role the employee is accountable for contributing to the delivery of the Kingston Health Sciences Centre strategy. As an employee, one must demonstrate an awareness of and be responsible for actively promoting and supporting patient and family centered engagement and care in all we do.
- Maintains strict confidentiality of information handled on a day to day basis ensuring that only authorized personnel are allowed access to patient information.
- Directs the flow of incoming patient information into the correct stream, OP, IP, or SM, and then to scanning/indexing and/or the paper patient chart. Provides a complete patient record ensuring that all data is filed and in the appropriate place in the chart, in proper sequence and that all information pertains only to the patient whom the chart belongs. Combine charts as necessary when it is identified that two or more patient records exist for the same patient.
- Maintains an accurate and complete computerized tracking system for all records to ensure immediate access at all times. Maintains and corrects the Patient Care System when errors are identified. Combines charts in the Patient Care System. Verify and update the visit information that interfaces from Patient Care System to other computerized systems.
- Respond to requests from various sources, i.e. Emergency, Nursing Units, Clinics, Physicians Offices, Cancer Clinic and personnel conducting research, audits, and other chart requests.
- Assists in Electronic and Manual distribution of reports to Attending Physicians, In-Town and Out-of-Town Physicians, including, but not exclusive to: Lab Reports, Clinic Letters, Consultation Sheets, Discharge Summaries, Imaging Reports, Operative Reports, Emergency Sheets, Out-patient Procedures Sheets, Pacemaker Clinic Sheets, Admission Details, Neonatology Sheets, Pre-admission Details for Obstetrics and any other reports/Information requested.
- Assists in the completion of Quality Assurance Audits and Workload Studies as requested.
- Assists in the maintenance of a safe working environment and the use of safe scanning/indexing/filing procedures. Brings all potentially dangerous situations to the attention of the Manager or Supervisor.
- Respond to requests to fax information to other institutions in Emergency situations and distributing information faxed to the Department to the appropriate areas in a timely manner. Ability to assess the nature/legitimacy of the request and the person right to access as per the established guidelines.
- Rescans deficiencies to QCPR
- Grade 12.
- Post-Secondary Computer Course in Microsoft Office Suite or demonstrated proficiency with MS Outlook, Word, Excel and Access at an intermediate level.
- Medical terminology certificate required
- One year Medical Records or equivalent office experience with understanding/experience of relevant systems and procedures (medical records). Previous experience in a computerized environment.
- Keyboarding 40 wpm, with 95% accuracy on a test.
- Intermediate Microsoft Applications proficiency in Word, Excel and Access(competency test will be conducted)
- Medical Terminology (competency test will be conducted)
- TD 4 numerical and alphabetical and straight numerical filing proficiency (competency tests will be conducted).
- Demonstrated ability to work independently be self-motivated and organized.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in emergency situations and under a heavy workload.
- Must be capable of prioritizing work and multi-tasking.
- Must work harmoniously with other staff in the department and throughout the hospital to provide rapid, efficient health care.
- Proven ability to attend work regularly.
- Satisfactory criminal reference check required.
The applicant must be able to meet the physical requirements of the position.
We thank all applicants, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Kingston Health Sciences Centre is committed to inclusive and accessible employment practices.
If you require an accommodation to fully participate in the hiring process, please notify the Recruitment Team.
Apply on company website