Medical Device Reprocessing Technician
Department: Medical Device Reprocessing HDH
Position Number: 50064931
Hours of Work: Part-Time Position
Rotating Shifts: 0700-1500, 0900-1700, 1300-2100
Pay Band: BAND-FF $23.450- $25.990
Location: Hotel Dieu Hospital Site
Please note, this posting identifies the current shifts that apply to the position control number. However, this does not guarantee the permanence of the shift time or work assignment for the position. The Hospital reserves its Management Rights under the CUPE Collective Agreement to make changes to shift time and work assignment as it deems necessary.
Under the direction of the Manager and or Supervisor, the Medical Device Reprocessing Technician performs diversified duties to support quality patient care and to facilitate smooth operations of the Medical Device Reprocessing Department (MDRD) and departments serviced by the MDRD. Technicians are responsible for collecting, decontaminating, inspecting, assembling, wrapping, sterilizing and distributing patient care equipment, reusable supplies, and instruments in accordance with Departmental/Hospital policies and procedures.
Within this role the employee is accountable for contributing to the delivery of the Kingston Health Sciences Centre strategy. As an employee, one must demonstrate an awareness of and be responsible for actively promoting and supporting patient and family centered engagement and care in all we do.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Collects, decontaminates, inspects, assembles, wraps, sterilizes, stores and distributes all surgical and patient care instruments, equipment and reusable supplies in accordance with CSA Standards and Departmental/Hospital policies and standard procedures using Process Excellence LEAN principles and processes
- Responds immediately to telephone requests and urgent calls in assigned area(s) and carries out procedures in accordance with the MDRD, Operating Room and departments dependent on MDR services
- Prepares case carts to support surgical services
- Checks par levels in designated areas and stocks supplies accordingly.
- Performs routine cleaning duties as required
- Reports any unusual occurrences, symptoms or happenings to the Supervisor, Manager or delegate promptly. Completes Safety Reports according to KHSC policy
- Adheres to the worker responsibilities as set out in the Occupational Health & Safety Act, hospital safety policies, and dept/unit established procedures at all times. Where possible, take corrective action to address a hazard, otherwise report the unresolved hazard, dangerous circumstance, unsafe situation to self, other co-workers or the community, to their supervisor. Should the employee suffer a workplace injury or illness, he/she will advise their supervisor; actively participate in identifying and resolving the underlying cause(s), and participates in early and safe return to work as per Workplace Safety & Insurance Act.
- Understands and is familiar with all pertinent KHSC policies and procedures including those relating to workplace conduct. Complies with the KGH Commitment to uphold the Workplace Conduct and Reporting of Inappropriate Conduct policy and behaves in a manner that is consistent with the guiding principles and expectations
- Grade 12 diploma
- Completion of a MDRAO Medical Device Reprocessing course (Ref: CAN/CSA-Z314-18) within the last two years or equivalent combination of recent education and experience.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate in English, oral and written,
- Demonstrated knowledge of infection control, medical terminology, decontamination, aseptic technique, hospital supplies and distribution system.
- Competent to apply principles of Quality Management Systems to comply with daily activities for monitoring, testing, reporting, correcting and documenting use of sterilization processes and equipment.
- Committed to life-long learning and maintaining competency in medical device reprocessing by attending in-services, completing LMS modules and seeking education opportunities that enhance their work performance
- Ability to work and relate well with other staff.
- Demonstrated good interpersonal, communication and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to be self-motivated and self-directed
- Proven ability to follow instructions accurately, problem-solve workload priorities and cope with interruptions.
- 80% grade on a demonstrated Medical Device Reprocessing Technician Pre-test (unless MDRAO course completed within the last year.)
- Successful completion of MDR technician course in a complex MDRD an asset.
- Effectively prioritize work and multi-task
- Proven ability to attend work regularly.
- Satisfactory criminal reference check and vulnerable sector search required.
The applicant must meet the physical demands of this position.
In the event that no applicants meet the minimum qualifications, opportunity will be given to applicants to begin in the position in a reduced capacity while completing the required course through MDRAO (completion of course required within 6 months of start date).
We thank all applicants, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Kingston Health Sciences Centre is committed to inclusive and accessible employment practices.
If you require an accommodation to fully participate in the hiring process, please notify the Recruitment Team.
Apply on company website