Title: Occupational Therapist
Department: Physio/Occupational Therapy Services
Position Number: 50059771
Hours of Work: Casual Position; Days
Pay Band: GROUP10 $39.67-$47.38
Union: OPSEU4106 Non-Central
Location: KHSC – Multi Site – Kingston General Hospital Primary
The Occupational Therapist works independently and collaboratively as part of an interprofessional team providing inpatient and outpatient occupational therapy services. Service provision includes assessment, treatment planning and implementation, consultation, equipment prescription and education with patients and/or their families to promote functional independence and enable patients to achieve and maintain optimal health outcomes in the hospital and in their transition to the community.
Within this role the Occupational Therapist is accountable for contributing to the delivery of the KHSC strategy. As an employee, one must demonstrate an awareness of and be responsible for actively promoting and supporting patient and family centered engagement and care in all we do.
RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES:
Patient care responsibilities:
- Review referrals for appropriateness and prioritization
- Plan, organize and establish patient care priorities based upon identified needs by the organization, the program and/or the service team
- Provide assessment, consultation and treatment of referred patients
- Utilize evidence-based practice and best practice guidelines in the occupational therapy plan of care
- Utilize outcome measures to guide clinical decision-making
- Establish treatment goals in collaboration with the patient and family
- Provide education to patient and families as it relates to the occupational therapy plan of care
- Contribute to the development of discharge plans
- Participate in interprofessional care planning (i.e. rounds and family conferences)
- Coordinate services with community agencies as it relates to the occupational therapy plan of care
- Provide direction and supervision to occupational therapy assistants participating in the occupational therapy plan of care
- Provide direction and supervision to health science students participating in the occupational therapy plan of care
- Complete documentation according to College and organizational standards
Indirect care responsibilities:
- Enter workload data accurately and at the required frequency
- Participate in orientation of new staff
- Participate in program and discipline-specific team meetings
- Participate in program and discipline-specific educational opportunities
- Share newly acquired knowledge and skills with occupation therapy colleagues and the interprofessional team
- Participate in discipline-specific, program and organizational committees or councils as requested
- Participate in continuous quality improvement and accreditation activities
- Complete all mandatory KGH Learning Management System education modules
- Participate in approved research
- Perform other duties that may be requested
- Demonstrate current registration with the College of Occupational Therapists of Ontario
- Adhere to the standards for practice outlined by the College of Occupational Therapists of Ontario
- Maintain a high standard of clinical competence through professional development and quality assurance activities
- Contribute to the preparation of health science students through knowledge translation, practical learning and mentorship.
- New graduate must be eligible for membership with the College of Occupational Therapists of Ontario
- Active, unrestricted license to practice with the College of Occupational Therapists of Ontario.
- Experience in an acute care setting is preferred
- Demonstrated ability to make sound professional decisions in a medically-complex, interprofessional and learning environment
- Strong interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to communicate effectively and respectfully
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and with a high degree of initiation and motivation
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with others
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and prioritize tasks to be effective and efficient
- Demonstrated commitment to evidence-based and best practice
- Proven ability to attend work regularly
- Proficient with computer applications (i.e. Email, Internet, Excel, workload measurement tool)
The applicant must be able to meet the physical demands of this position.
We thank all applicants, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Kingston Health Sciences Centre is committed to inclusive and accessible employment practices.
If you require an accommodation to fully participate in the hiring process, please notify the Recruitment Team.
Apply on company website