Title: Phlebotomist – Specimen Procurement
Department: Specimen Procurement
Position Number: 50057790
Hours of Work: Part-Time Position
Rotating Shifts: 0500-1000, 0600-1400, 0800-1600, 730-1130, 730-1530,1400-2200, 2200-0600 and 1700-2100
Pay Band: BAND-C $23.070-$25.560
Location: Kingston General Hospital Site
In accordance with Article 9.05, where the previous incumbent returns to this position within the thirty (30) day trial period this position shall be deemed not vacant and the posting will be cancelled. Should the vacancy be cancelled, applicants to this posting shall be notified.
Please note, this posting identifies the current shifts that apply to the position control number. However, this does not guarantee the permanence of the shift time or work assignment for the position. The Hospital reserves its Management Rights under the CUPE Collective Agreement to make changes to shift time and work assignment as it deems necessary.
Provides Phlebotomy services for the collection of blood specimens within KGH.
Within this role the employee is accountable for contributing to the delivery of the Kingston Health Sciences Centre strategy. As an employee, one must demonstrate an awareness of and be responsible for actively promoting and supporting patient and family centered engagement and care in all we do.
- Collect blood specimens via venipuncture in accordance with policies and procedures.
- Complete requisitions for using Lab Order Entry (LOE) for blood collection as per written physician orders, as part of the clinic chart preparation process.
- Provide education to patients and team members with respect to blood collection and self-collection specimens, e.g. sputum, 24 hour urine.
- Send specimens to the laboratory for testing using pneumatics tube system and/or ensure specimens are ready for pick-up by porter service.
- Collaborate with members of the health care team as needed to clarify physician orders and specimen requirements.
- Certification as Laboratory Assistant from CSMLS, OSMT or another agency recognized by the Laboratory Licensing Branch of the Ministry of Health of the Province of Ontario or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Demonstrated Venipuncture skills using well defined procedures
- Proven written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to interact tactfully with staff, physicians, other hospital staff and other clients
- Ability to work harmoniously in a team environment
- Proven ability to perform duties independently, with a high degree of motivation and minimal supervision
- Demonstrated ability to attend work on a regular basis.
- Basic computer and data entry skills
- Limited proficiency for Entry point, Wellsoft (EDIS), QuadraMed systems
- Safe work practices including PPEs
- Basic mathematical skills
- Proven ability to attend work regularly.
- Satisfactory criminal reference check and vulnerable sector search required.
The applicant must be able to meet the physical demands of this position.
We thank all applicants, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Kingston Health Sciences Centre is committed to inclusive and accessible employment practices.
If you require an accommodation to fully participate in the hiring process, please notify the Recruitment Team.
Apply on company website