Title: Respiratory Therapist
Department: Respiratory Therapy
Position Number: 50016860
Hours of Work: Part-Time Position; Rotating Shifts
Union: OPSEU4106 Central
Location: Kingston General Hospital Site
Under the direction of the Clinical Leader, Respiratory Therapy Services, the Respiratory Therapist provides respiratory therapy services in the hospital according to standards of the institution and the Respiratory Therapy regulating body.
Within this role the employee is accountable for contributing to the delivery of the Kingston General Hospital strategy. As an employee, one must demonstrate an awareness of and be responsible for actively promoting and supporting patient and family centered engagement and care in all we do.
PRINCIPLE RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES:
- Meets the College of Respiratory Therapists of Ontario Standards of Respiratory Therapy Practice.
- Provides respiratory therapy services to patient care areas including liaison, troubleshooting, review of records; therapeutic recommendations, documentation and follow-up, participation in rounds.
- Reviews orders for appropriateness and accuracy.
- Consults with interprofessional team and patients and families to solve problems and recommend changes.
- Initiates and maintains required records and documentation.
- Provides education to patients, families and other health care providers
- Participates in quality improvement and risk management functions.
- Directs, supervises and evaluates activities and care provided by students
- Participates in the orientation of new RT staff
- Participates as a member of the interprofessional team including development and implementation of medical directives, pre-printed orders and therapist driven protocols.
- Participates in the collection and documentation of workload measurement data.
- Participates in service planning and projects as required.
- Maintains professional competence through staff development and continuing education.
- Observes and promotes health and safety regulations of the department and the hospital.
- Participates in maintaining a clean, orderly, secure, and safe work environment
- Performs related work as requested.
The above duties are representative but are not to be construed as all inclusive.
- Eligible for registration with the College of Respiratory Therapists of Ontario.
- B.C.L.S. required.
- One-year experience within the last three years in a teaching hospital preferred.
- Demonstrated ability with above average written and verbal communication skills, including good grammar, composition, and spelling.
- Evidence of strong organizational skills with the ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines is essential.
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to communication effectively, courteously and tactfully with all types of people.
- Maintains confidentiality
- Ability to attend work on a regular basis.
- Satisfactory criminal reference check and vulnerable sector search required.
The applicant must be able to meet the physical demands of the position.
We thank all applicants, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Kingston Health Sciences Centre is committed to inclusive and accessible employment practices.
If you require an accommodation to fully participate in the hiring process, please notify the Recruitment Team.
Apply on company website