Title: Sonographer- Ultrasound
Department: Diagnostic Ultrasound
Position Number: 50066074
Hours of Work: Full-TimePosition, Rotating Shifts
Pay Band: $33.32-$46.02
Union: OPSEU4106 Central
Location: HDH Site
Under the direction of the Manager and Director of Imaging Services, will be responsible for the day to day ultrasound scanning of patients using a variety of medical ultrasound equipment.
Within this role the employee is accountable for contributing to the delivery of the Kingston Health Sciences Centre strategy. As an employee, one must demonstrate an awareness of and be responsible for actively promoting and supporting patient and family centered engagement and care in all we do.
- Perform abdominal, obstetrical/gynecology, pelvic, chest, face, neck, brain, small parts, extremity, Doppler, pediatric, vascular or other studies as instructed the by Radiologist in charge in ultrasound or the Physician in charge while in ADCL. Operates complex ultrasound equipment. Recognize the significance of all structures visualized on the ultrasound monitor at all times and to differentiate artifact from normal or pathological structures. Must be able to determine the anatomy as normal or abnormal, and if abnormal, be able to delineate the abnormality and extend the scope of the study appropriately. Responsible for working and performing duties as assigned in Ultrasound across KHSC, including areas at all hospital sites, and off-site locations based on operational needs
- Select proper transducer, frequency and diameter for optimum performance for the examination.
- Efficiently operate ancillary devices such as key pads, view point, HIS, RIS, PACS and probe reprocessing equipment.
- Appropriately prepare patients for ultrasound procedures and explain the procedure to the patient while performing the study.
- Assist in the training of new Sonographers, students, and staff, as required
- Provide technical assistance for biopsy and aspiration procedures
- Continuously improve and expand scanning skills by a variety of means including participation in reading sessions, attend meetings or conferences when possible, reading articles and other methods available
- Once appropriately instructed will assist in the quality assurance program of testing the ultrasound equipment and reporting problems to the senior sonographer
- Recognize and report electronic equipment problems
- Assist in research projects and participate in Quality Improvement activities
- Participate in the evaluation of new products and equipment
- The Employee will adhere to the worker responsibilities as set out in the Occupational Health & Safety Act, hospital safety policies, and dept/unit established procedures at all times. Where possible, take corrective action to address a hazard, otherwise report the unresolved hazard, dangerous circumstance, unsafe situation to self, other co-workers or the community, to their supervisor. Should the employee suffer a workplace injury or illness, he/she will advise their supervisor; actively participate in identifying and resolving the underlying cause(s), and participates in early and safe return to work as per Workplace Safety & Insurance Act.
- Understands and is familiar with all pertinent KHSC policies and procedures including those relating to workplace conduct. Complies with the KHSC Commitment to uphold the Workplace Conduct and Reporting of Inappropriate Conduct policy and behaves in a manner that is consistent with the guiding principles and expectations
NOTE: The above duties are representative but are not to be considered as all-inclusive to this position.
- Successful completion of a recognized course in Ultrasound
- Registered with CMRITO
- 3 years of experience within the last 5 years preferred.
- Computer and software proficiency
- Analytical ability
- Medical terminology
- Must be competent and efficient in abdominal and obstetrical/gynecological scanning.
- Experience in Doppler and vascular ultrasound an asset
- Ability to attend work on a regular basis.
- Satisfactory criminal reference check and vulnerable sector search required.
The applicant must be able to meet the physical requirements of the position.The incumbent will be required to meet the physical demands described for that unit of services.
We thank all applicants, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Kingston Health Sciences Centre is committed to inclusive and accessible employment practices.
If you require an accommodation to fully participate in the hiring process, please notify the Recruitment Team.
Apply on company website