Title: Technician 4 - Ophthalmology
Department: Ophthalmology Clinic
Position Number: 50066097
Hours of Work: Temporary Part-Time Position (Approximately 12 months); Days Shift
Rate of Pay: $30.69 -$35.34
Union: OPSEU 4106 Central
Location: Hotel Dieu Hospital Site
The Ophthalmic Technician assists in the assessment, planning and provision of care in the department of ophthalmology in accordance with the Mission and Values of Kingston Health Sciences Centre and its objectives, policies, standards and procedures.The Ophthalmic Technician performs duties under the supervision of medical staff in the department of ophthalmology. The Ophthalmic Technician works independently within his/her scope of practice, collaborating with other members of the health care team. The Ophthalmic Technician organizes the workload and fulfills the responsibilities of the position with a high degree of autonomy within established guidelines and procedures. Clinical direction and support are provided by the Ophthalmologists within the Department. The Ophthalmic Technician is accountable for his/her decisions and actions even when acting interdependently in consultation and collaboration with the healthcare team. The Ophthalmic Technician advocates for and provides care to the patient undergoing treatment in the Ophthalmology Clinic/Diagnostic Areas.
PRINCIPLE RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES:
The Ophthalmic Technician will:
- Participate as a member of a multi-disciplinary health care team
- Demonstrate participation in ongoing educational activities that maintains current skills and knowledge.
- Participate in the learning experience of health care students as necessary.
- Sit on committees as appropriate.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrate initiative in participating in research activities.
- Demonstrate skills in computer technology including graphics, database/spreadsheet management, digital imaging and computer slide production.
The Ophthalmic Technician will be competent at the following profession related skills:
- Provide direct patient care within the department of ophthalmology.
- Perform automated perimetry: providing patient instruction, observation and assistance during procedure.
- Perform Goldmann Perimetry: calibration, patient instruction, manually collect accurate details of exam.
- Perform work-up and coordinate all clinics: history, visual acuity, measurement if IOP, pachymetry, and other designated tests
- Perform all colour vision testing: patient instruction, observation, and accurate data collection.
- Perform manual and automated keratometry.
- Perform manifest refractometry.
- Perform ultrasound A-scan
- Perform IOL Master
- Perform Ocular Coherence Tomography.
- Perform corneal topography
- Set up, operate, and maintain ophthalmic equipment.
- Stock examination rooms.
- Collect and prepare data of all exam results for interpretation by physician.
- Troubleshoot common problems with ophthalmic equipment.
- Supervise and teach ophthalmic technician students and ophthalmic medical technologist students within the scope of practice of the ophthalmic technician.
- Ensure confidentiality of all records and information related to patients, physicians and employees.
- Following safe working conditions and practices in respective areas of responsibility
- Carrying out duties in a way that embodies the mission and values of the hospital
- Working co-operatively with fellow employees, supervisors and departments toward the achievement of Kingston Health Sciences Centre's overall goals and objectives
- Joint Commission on Allied Health Personnel in Ophthalmology (JCAHPO),
- Certified Ophthalmic Technician (COT) Certification or willingness to complete within a two year timeframe
- Recent related experience in Ophthalmology
- Proficient Computer skills (MAC/Windows/NT)
- Proven good interpersonal and communication skills
- Capable of coping with a mentally and physically demanding work environment
- Able to function independently as well as interdependently
- Demonstrated commitment to ongoing education and upgrading of skills
- Proven good attendance record
- Stereo vision capabilities
- Knowledge of ophthalmic anatomy and physiology.
- Knowledge of medical terminology.
- Current BCLS
- Ability to attend work on a regular basis.
- Satisfactory criminal reference check and vulnerable sector search required.
The applicant must be able to meet the physical requirements of the position.
We thank all applicants, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Kingston Health Sciences Centre is committed to inclusive and accessible employment practices.
If you require an accommodation to fully participate in the hiring process, please notify the Recruitment Team.
Apply on company website