Job Description SummaryUnder limited supervision, conducts both varied and routine repetitive tests in laboratory, pilot plant, and production areas. Sets up, operates, disassembles, sanitizes, and reassembles pilot plant equipment. Prepares for pilot plant or production testing in collaboration with food technologist and pilot plant staff by acquiring ingredients/supplies in advance according to established procedures, arranging for product/ingredient shipments to/from production facilities, suppliers. Weighing components and assembling components when necessary. Executes experiments using recognized procedures. Performs laboratory preparation activities and analyses to provide useful, accurate technical information to necessary personnel. May be asked to help with equipment preventative maintenance. Demonstrate competency on all test methods, utilizing established methods and procedures, prepare samples for analysis.
- Maintains all laboratory and pilot plant equipment in an orderly workable condition.
- Construct processes in food preparation and/or processing technique and executes experiments with limited supervision.
- Maintains a keen awareness of equipment and processing capabilities in a commercial plant so that future full scale up problems are minimized.
- Functions with minimal supervision and is expected to report results, conclusions, and suggestions for accomplishing a result to Technologists, Management and at Product Cuttings.
- Records processing parameters and product attributes, weights, and any other aspects according to established specifications, maintains a detailed lab notebook of performed experiments with a summary of the conclusions.
- Familiar with all pilot plant equipment, materials, safety hazards, food safety concerns, and chemical tests.
- Will aid in the training Research Technician I, as deemed appropriate by the professional staff, and help in training new employees in the correct way of equipment operation.
- Learns and utilizes on-line specification system and ingredients system.
- Physical Demands: Environment is a typical of a high volume, rapid demand food preparation situation. Physical demands include standing for extended periods of time (4-6 hours), and must be able to lift 50 pounds
- Education: High school diploma or GED
- Experience: 5+ years of plant experience, college degree preferred
- Combination of suitable education and experience
- Strong communication skills
- Computer skills-Word, Excel
- Ability write reports, business correspondence, and produce manuals
- Present information and respond to questions
Apply on company website