Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have an opening for a Mechanical Engineer to participate in new and ongoing projects at the Nevada National Security Site (NNSS). You will contribute to the design, deployment, fabrication and assembly of various nuclear weapon components; surveillance of nuclear stockpile components; and engineering testing for evaluation and maintenance of the enduring and future nuclear weapon stockpile at several facilities in the United States, primarily supporting the work at the Device Assembly Facility (DAF) in Nevada. You will interface with colleagues at other National Laboratories and Production Agencies, National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA), and Department of Defense (DoD) and their contractors. This position is in the Defense Technologies Engineering Division (DTED), within the Engineering Directorate. DTED provides support to Weapons and Complex Integration (WCI) Programs.
This position will be filled at either the SES.1 or SES.2 level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
- Derive engineering requirements, develop conceptual designs, and perform supporting analyses of mechanical systems, test prototypes, and associated diagnostics.
- Oversee the detail design process, component part fabrication, and unit assembly.
- Prepare supporting safety and engineering documentation and participate in engineering design reviews.
- Participate in engineering testing operations, analyze results, and write reports.
- Generate detailed plans, schedules, and budgets for project activities.
- Interface with other organizations internal and external to the Laboratory to complete various projects.
- Work independently as well as a part of a multidisciplinary team.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
In Addition at the SES.2 Level
- Provide engineering knowledge to resolve technical and programmatic issues.
- Perform independent technical tasks to provide solutions for a diverse range of moderate to complex issues.
- Select methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria to obtain results based on analysis of multiple, largely identifiable factors.
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Fundamental knowledge of two or more of the following: engineering hardware design, systems engineering, manufacturing techniques, testing processes, FEA structural analysis.
- Working knowledge of and/or experience with design principles.
- Working knowledge of material properties and manufacturing methods.
- Experience working effectively in a multidisciplinary team environment and/or project planning, scheduling, professional service estimates, and adherence to completion dates.
- Experience using standard project management practices.
- Desire to work on National Security projects related to nuclear weapons and flexibility to work in different technical areas.
- Sufficient verbal and written communication skills to collaborate effectively in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
- Ability to travel up to 50% time between Las Vegas, NV and Livermore, CA, or other DOE complex sites, as needed.
In Addition at the SES.2 Level
- Master's degree in Mechanical Engineering or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Comprehensive knowledge of engineering hardware design, fabrication, or testing processes and ability to meet schedule and deliverables for multiple concurrent projects with a range of priorities.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
- Ability to interpret specifications and mechanical drawings including Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing (GD&T).
- Knowledge of nuclear facility operations, including a basic understanding of safety bases documentation.
- Experience working in an environment with stringent safety and security policies.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam: A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.3 billion, employing approximately 6,900 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Apply on company website