We work to connect and power an inclusive, digital economy that benefits everyone, everywhere by making transactions safe, simple, smart and accessible. Using secure data and networks, partnerships and passion, our innovations and solutions help individuals, financial institutions, governments and businesses realize their greatest potential. Our decency quotient, or DQ, drives our culture and everything we do inside and outside of our company. We cultivate a culture of inclusion for all employees that respects their individual strengths, views, and experiences. We believe that our differences enable us to be a better team – one that makes better decisions, drives innovation and delivers better business results.
Job TitleSenior Data Engineer (12 month FTC)Who is Mastercard?
Mastercard is a leading technology company in the payments industry, operating the world's fastest payment processing network, connecting consumers, financial institutions, retailers, governments and businesses in more than 210 countries and territories. Every day, everywhere, we use our technology and expertise to make payments safe, simple and smart.
A profound shift is taking place in payments. Our 24/7 world is changing expectations. People want faster access to products and services, and they expect payments to keep pace. To cater for this, Mastercard has recognised the need to diversify and has become a multi-rail payments company. We're driving innovation across payments ecosystems encompassing account-based payments, digital payments and value-add services, providing solutions that work for bank transfer and card-based payments, to offer people and businesses greater choice in how they pay and get paid.
As we've transformed from a card-based payments processor to a multi-rail payments company, we've experienced phenomenal growth. While we develop many of our capabilities in-house, we have also grown the Mastercard family through a series of exciting acquisitions in recent years.
New Payment Platforms (NPP) began its chapter in Mastercard as an acquisition and focuses on solutions for critical national infrastructure payment systems, consumer and business payment applications and value-added services. As part of NPP, Mastercard Payment Services offers solutions in real-time payments, bill payments and Open Banking.
Analytics & Metrics is one of three key functions of NPP Delivery Services – a globally focused team responsible for generating consistent procedures, solutions, information, tools, data and analytics to drive and execute quality, efficient data and insights for our New Payments Platform business. The Senior Data Engineer is an important role within the NPP Delivery Services function, especially in the effort to deliver a data-driven methodology for NPP Delivery.
The Senior Data Engineer will focus on the delivery of a single source of truth for all data used for NPP Delivery, internal and external data sources, so it is critical that the data is accurate, consistent and complete. The goal will be to establish an insights & analytical function that focuses on impactful data storytelling by leveraging the rich and diverse data points available from our reporting database and supported by best practice advanced analytics and data visualisation.
• Lead the maintenance and development of the data warehouse, supporting processes and core data infrastructure and ETL framework
• Understand business data problems and determine what aspects require optimisation or implementation; articulate those aspects in a clear and concise manner
• Drive best practice for the NPP Delivery Data Warehouse – API payload design, logical and advanced data modelling, data integration, database automation and testing standards
• Use a solution driven mind-set to help support and lead the integration of disparate data sources into the data warehouse and business data automation
• Contribute to the delivery and evolution of the analytical strategy (via advanced SQL) to maximise the statistical and analytical support of the BI solution and business, which will help drive visibility and understanding
• Use analytical and statistical rigor to solve complex problems and provide clear solutions to the business. Provide and present detailed insights and trends to support quick and accurate decision making
All About You
Essential skills and experience:
• Advanced knowledge of SQL & T-SQL
• Advanced understanding of
o Query performance tuning
o Nested Stored Procedures
o Server Agents
o In-Memory strategy
• Advanced knowledge of SQL Server 16+ (SSMS)
• Experience and passion for leading ETL, data warehousing and advanced analytics as a designer or architect
• Knowledge of statistical and analytical methods including data mining, descriptive, predictive & prescriptive modelling
• Have managed and resolved a wide range of data warehouse problems - supporting machine learning, business intelligence and advanced analytics
• Self-starter with the ability to work independently or as part of a team
• Proven and recent experience of identifying and implementing solutions from requirements gathering and process design to functional production deployment
Desirable skills and experience:
• Experience within API development: preferably using Postman
• Experience within network engineering
• Hands on experience with data virtualisation and BI technologies: preferably Domo
• Development experience using Alteryx data integration software
• Advanced skills with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, VBA and PowerPoint)
• Experience building test automation to ensure data quality and accuracy
Due to COVID-19, most of our employees are working from home. We've implemented a virtual hiring process and continue to interview candidates by phone or video and are onboarding new hires remotely. We value the safety of each member of our community because we know we're all in this together.
Mastercard is an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer that considers applicants without regard to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, disabled or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you require accommodations or assistance to complete the online application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and identify the type of accommodation or assistance you are requesting. Do not include any medical or health information in this email. The Reasonable Accommodations team will respond to your email promptly.
Apply on company website