General Summary of Position:
The incumbent in this position is also a manager who participates in and facilitates the clinical operations, human resources, communications, and fiscal activities of the Foot & Ankle Center. These functions are performed in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations and MedStar Georgetown University Hospital's philosophy, policies, procedures, and standards.
- EDUCATION/TRAINING: Graduate of an accredited school of nursing. BS degree in nursing or greater than eight years of experience in nursing with at least two years of management experience will be considered in lieu of a BS degree.
- EXPERIENCE: Five years of experience in nursing with a minimum experience of three years in a general medical or surgical unit.
- LICENSE/CERTIFICATION/REGISTRATION: Current D.C. licensure as a Registered Professional Nurse. Current certification in BCLS.
- KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES: Knowledge of management and nursing organizational theory to supervise the operation of the nursing staff. Having knowledge and applying the principles and practices of employee development to train, delegate duties, and mentor staff. The position requires skill in applying and modifying the principles, methods, and techniques of professional nursing. The position requires skill in anticipating and reacting calmly to emergency situations. This position requires skill in identifying problems and researching and recommending resolutions. Skill in exercising a high degree of initiative, judgment, discretion, and decision making, establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with patients, medical staff, and the public. Ability to plan, prioritize, organize, and direct the work of others and to communicate clearly are all requirements of this position.
Consideration will be given to an appropriate combination of education/training and experience.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Reviews, develops, and implements a plan to improve patient flow through the Foot & Ankle Center to facilitate clinical efficiency, physician efficiency, patient satisfaction, and department productivity.
- Works with the Human Resources Department to hire clinical staff to ensure that the Limb Center nursing and technical staff is at approved levels. Maintains personnel files for the clinical nursing staff to ensure compliance with licensure and employee health requirements, in addition to annual competencies for the clinical staff. Performs clinical staff annual reviews, and presents them to the Administrator and Director of the Foot & Ankle Center for review.
- Represents the Foot & Ankle Center nursing and ancillary staff in the appropriate hospital committees and meetings. Interfaces with MedStar hospital administration in order to represent and keep the Foot & Ankle Center staff informed of hospital issues, voice concerns, and develop an awareness of the activities of the Foot & Ankle Center.
- Manages and facilitates the expansion of the Foot & Ankle Center, integrating the nursing and physician staff into the design and review phases.
- Ensures that the Foot & Ankle Center is in compliance with JCAHO and DCRA standards and maintains those standards on a daily basis. Monitors and ensures that all professional, regulatory, and organizational standards are met.
- Directs and coordinates all functions and activities related to the clinical operations of the Foot & Ankle Center on a daily basis.
- Evaluates, investigates, and implements methods to increase effectiveness and efficiency of the daily operations of the Foot & Ankle Center to increase customer satisfaction and department productivity.
- Re-evaluates the functioning of the Foot & Ankle Center technical staff and revises job descriptions to enable better support of the physician and nursing staff.
- Meets regularly with the department heads of both clinical and ancillary departments to ensure the efficient and effective daily operations of the Foot & Ankle Center.
- Coordinates PI and QA functions and activities of the Foot & Ankle Center. Documents PI measures, outcomes, and processes. Prepares information for submission to the hospital scorecard system and other required reporting systems.
- Performs personnel management functions for the Foot & Ankle Center. This includes interviewing, hiring, scheduling, counseling, evaluating, and terminating employees as delegated by or with the Administrator of the Foot & Ankle Center.
- Monitors and maintains assigned operational budgets within approved administrative guidelines in cooperation with the Department Administrator.
- Develops an outreach program to promote the services of the Foot & Ankle Center and encourages the Foot & Ankle Center staff to provide education and in-services to hospital-wide nurses to increase understanding of the operations of the Foot & Ankle Center.
- Exemplifies Commitment to Care (C2C) standards in all activities and holds assigned personnel accountable for conforming to established standards.
- Assumes other duties and responsibilities that are appropriate to the position and area.
The above responsibilities are a general description of the level and nature of the work assigned to this classification and are not to be considered as all-inclusive.
Apply on company website