Applicants must have at least one year of hospital-based inpatient experience for this opportunity.Apply now. Email CV to: Karma.A.Limes@medstar.net
MedStar Georgetown University hospital is a not-for-profit, acute-care teaching and research hospital with 609 beds located in northwest Washington, D. C. Founded in the Jesuit principle ofcura personaliscaring for the whole personMedStar Georgetown is committed to offering a variety of innovative diagnostic and treatment options within a trusting and compassionate environment.
MedStar Georgetown's centers of excellence include neurosciences, transplant, cancer, and gastroenterology. Along with Magnet nurses, internationally recognized physicians, advanced research ,and cutting-edge technologies, MedStar Georgetown's healthcare professionals have a reputation for medical excellence and leadership.
Functions as a physician assistant in the critical care division on the medical/surgical and neurosciences services. The job entails aiding the physicians with patient work-ups, conducting histories and physicals for critical care consults, interpreting hemodynamic and mechanical ventilation data, and acting as a resource to the neurosciences physicians and ICU nurses for critical care management.
Primary responsibilities include performing initial critical care consultation, daily rounds with attending intensivist, placing arterial and central venous catheters after appropriate certification, and management of mechanical ventilation and patients' hemodynamic status. These functions are performed in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations and MedStar Georgetown University Hospital's philosophy, policies, procedures, and standards.
Education, Experience, & License Requirements:
- Bachelor's degree required from an accredited physician's assistant program. Master's in physician assistant studies preferred.
- This position requires at least one year of experience working in the ICU, PA certification, D.C. license, BLS, and ACLS.
- Perform daily assessments on critical care patients, including physical exam and review of graphic flow sheet, medications, acute events, and laboratory and x-ray results. Timely and accurate documentation in daily progress note in patient's chart. Daily rounds with attending intensivist where assessment and plans are discussed and then implemented.
- Manage mechanical ventilation and ventilator weaning. Identify patients who meet clinical criteria for extubation. Extubations to be performed in the presence of attending intensivist.
- Initiate and titrate vasopressor medications when clinically indicated.
- Place arterial catheters and central venous catheters under sterile technique with supervision by attending intensivist. Document procedure note in patient's chart.
- Assist in the ordering and evaluation of appropriate diagnostic studies and procedures.
- Provide education to patients, their families, and ICU nursing staff regarding disease process, treatment plan, and symptom management.
- Participate in daily multidisciplinary ICU rounds.
- Exemplify patient experience service standards and spirit values, and actively participate in patient safety standards and tasks.
- Assume other responsibilities and duties that are appropriate to the position and area.
The above responsibilities are a general description of the level and nature of the assigned to this classification and are not to be considered as all-inclusive.
We are not accepting inquiries or solicitations from 3rd party recruiters/search firms.
Apply on company website