Assists in providing direct and indirect patient care according to established procedures. Provides care for the adult and geriatric population under the direction and supervision of an RN.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND BASIC DUTIES
1. Clinical: Performs basic, routine and specialized tasks in assigned department, under the supervision of a registered nurse.
a. Meets patients needs (to include providing baths, linen changes, bedpans, water pitchers, etc.).
b. Assists with ambulation, positioning, elimination, personal hygiene, activities of daily living, routine comfort measures.
c. Transports patients and transfers patients between stretcher and bed and bed to chair.
d. Provides nourishments as requested and authorized by orders, including distribution and collection of meal trays as needed.
e. Participates in shift report, reports observations, unusual happenings to RN.
f. Maintain the comfort, privacy, and dignity of each patient in the delivery of services to them.
g. Observes, monitors, and reports changes in patient's condition, symptom, reactions or behavior as appropriate.
h. Rounds on all assigned patients based on established standards.
2. Environmental: Maintains a clean, safe, prepared work environment.
a. Prepares patient areas for admissions.
b. Cleans patient care equipment, as needed, or as assigned.
c. Distributes supplies to designated storage areas when they are delivered to unit.
d. Checks par levels of supplies and restocks as needed.
e. Maintains orderliness of utility, storage, nourishment and nursing station areas at the end of each shift.
f. Checks sterile supplies for sterility integrity, where applicable.
3. Administrative: Assists in the timely collection and accurate reporting of patient data.
a. Observes, monitors and records vital signs and nursing care procedures in the appropriate area of the clinical record.
b. Assures that documentation is accurate.
4. Development: Maintains current knowledge, certification, and licensure.
a. Identifies learning needs in self and initiates actions to address these education needs.
b. Attends continuing education programs in order to maintain certification.
c. Attends hospital sponsored training programs as required by the department.
d. Completes all mandatory requirements, certifications, and licensure within allotted timeframe for completion (CPR, License, PPD, Competencies, Age Specifics, etc.)
5. Organizational knowledge: Works effectively within and between departments.
a. Participates on inter-departmental teams and committees, communicating unit knowledge as appropriate
b. Provides department/unit with information and knowledge acquired during participation with interdepartmental teams and committees.
c. Demonstrates a constructive approach during all interactions with staff, supervisors, and managers both inside and outside the unit.
6. Department/Unit Specific Functions and Duties
a. Consistently displays professionalism in interactions with patients and families, staff and physicians.
b. Maintains flexibility with schedule to meet departmental needs
- High School Diploma or completion of a certified nursing assistant, medical corpsman program or 6 months equivalent experience in an acute care setting preferred.
- If a student in an accredited school of professional nursing, must have completed fundamentals of nursing and one clinical rotation and have a CNA license
- CPR Certification
- CNA Licensure
- Ability to read, write, speak, and comprehend English.
- Basic Computer skills to perform Data entry
- Computerized clinical information systems: Clinicians View, Chart View.
- HIPAA policies on Confidentiality.
- Minimum 6 months equivalent experience in Hospital setting.
- Current Nursing school students
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians work in a variety of settings across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal fulfillment.
Apply on company website