This is a Nurse Educator position supporting Med-Surgical Units This position supports Mercy's philosophy of patient centered care by teaching multiple pieces of content, including clinical and evidence-based practice related content as well as highly technical content to Mercy employees. The Education Specialist II/RN is comfortable speaking in front of small and large groups and understands basic adult learning principles. The Education Specialist II/RN is an expert in simulation technology and is passionate about enhancing the knowledge and skills of all Mercy Medical Center employees. Will also work as a bedside nurse on assigned unit as needed. Job Duties
- Designs, delivers and evaluates multiple pieces of clinical and evidence-based education for adults.
- Educates all levels of the organization on clinical best practices.
- Facilitates annual skills labs and patient care services orientation sessions
- Analyzes trend data and designs educational initiatives to improve outcomes and patient care
- Facilitates both large and small group sessions, is able to communicate to diverse populations and learners
- Possesses knowledge of and can demonstrate skill in using simulation training equipment pertinent to the healthcare environment
- Completes department needs assessments to pinpoint educational needs and designs programs to meet those needs
- Mentors other education team members in simulation and program design and evaluation
- Works as a bedside nurse on specific unit per a schedule mutually agreed upon.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Excellent presentation skills, excellent customer relation skills
- Ability to establish rapport with hospital staff and management level staff
- Self-starter; ability to initiate projects, plan own activities and make decisions within the framework of the responsibility and authority of the job.
- Must possess self-confidence in ability to facilitate &/or teach both large and small groups.
- Serve as positive role model and function as a change agent in creating a preferred future for staff development and continuing education.
- Ability to operate audiovisual equipment, including slide projects, overhead projectors and PowerPoint applications, etc.
- Proficient in the Microsoft office applications of Outlook, Word, Excel, and willing to learn PowerPoint as well as the hospital based systems.
- Knowledge and experience with computer based learning software desired but not required.
- Must maintain competencies within their assigned unit(s).
- Experience practicing as a health care professional or educator for 5 or more years is required.
- Previous experience in an education role is preferred.
- Bachelor's degree required.
- Currently licensed to practice as a registered nurse in the state of Iowa required.
- CNE or NPD, CPLP Certification preferred.
- Current certification in Basic Life Support (BLS), in accordance with the American Heart Association required.
- Iowa Dependent Adult Abuse and Iowa Child Abuse Mandatory Reporter training required. Employee must submit certification of completed training to Human Resources prior to start or transfer date.
Apply on company website