This position supports Mercy's philosophy of patient centered care by performing accurate clerical work to help facilitate a smooth workflow within the department. The Unit Secretaries' responsibilities require knowledge of departmental programs and a variety of operating policies and procedures. Job Duties
- Takes initiative to recognize and implement change in collaboration with the supervisor
- Schedules and coordinates tests, procedures and appointments for patients
- Maintains an organized, clean and tidy work area
- Prioritizes tasks and practices cost containment by efficient use of time and resources
- Coordinates flow of communication among patients, families and health care personnel
- Completes supply order entry accurately and in a timely manner
- Ensure that accurate and clinically relevant information is communicated with patients, their families, and co-workers at hand offs and other times as needed. Take all measures necessary to ensure that the appropriate and involved parties have communicated necessary information in order to allow for the best possible patient outcome
- Facilitates discharge process by scheduling and coordinating tests, procedures, and appointments for patients as well as compiling discharge and transfer paperwork
- Facilitates patient flow by preparing empty rooms for admissions as well as escorting patients and visitors to and from the unit to different areas of the hospital as needed
- Obtains medical records from outside facilities as requested
- Provides oversight of rental equipment in conjunction with the House Supervisors, EVS, and Biomed
- Performs audits and inventory checks under the direction of the Shift Supervisor and Manager
- Performs secretarial duties as assigned
- Basic proficiency in operations of computer, fax machine, filing systems and telephone systems.
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Greet visitors, ascertain purpose of visit, and directs them to appropriate staff or place
- Creates a welcoming environment for all healthcare team members
- Role Models exemplary customer service skills including verbal and non-verbal skills and proper phone etiquette
- Demonstrates support for changes in practice designed to improve performance.
- One year of health care and/or secretarial experience preferred.
- High School diploma or equivalent preferred
- Current certification in Basic Cardiac Life Support, in accordance with the American Heart Association required.
- Medium: Exert 20-50 lbs. of force occasionally and/or 10-15 lbs. of force frequently
Apply on company website