- The incumbent in this position is responsible for providing lactation assessment, management, education and instruction to all inpatient lactating women and to community-based outpatients in the form of consultations, rental or sale of lactation equipment and supplies, telephone triage, and prenatal education as appropriate. Incumbent will practice under the International Lactation Consultant Association Standards of Practice for the IBCLC Lactation Consultant. (1999). These functions are performed in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations and MedStar Georgetown University Hospital's philosophy, policies, procedures and standards.
- Work four 6-8 hour shifts per six week schedule
- 2 of the 4 shifts must be off shifts (evenings/weekends) per six week schedule
- Must work 1 Summer Holiday (Memorial Day, July 4th or Labor Day) and 1 Winter Holiday (Thanksgiving, Christmas, or New Years)
- Education/Training:Graduate of an accredited School of Nursing. B.S.N required.
- Experience:A minimum of two years as an IBCLC required. A comparable combination of nursing and lactation consultant experience will be considered
- License/Certification/Registration:Current license in the District of Columbia as a Registered Nurse, current certification as an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) and current certification in Basic Life Support for Healthcare Providers (BLS).
- Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:Ability to work cooperatively, efficiently and effectively in a professional manner. Excellent counseling and communication skills, public relations awareness and initiative are essential.
- Practices lactation management, counseling, and patient education in accordance with research based evidence, the ILCA Standards & Scope of Practice, the IBLCE Code of Ethics, and nursing scope and standards of practice within the MGUH interdisciplinary team of patient & family care.
- Creates an environment that fosters confidence and adult learning while supporting, promoting, and protecting confidentiality & lactation management for the mother-infant and their families.
- Participates willingly and appropriately in education opportunities, decision making, scheduling, unit communications, unit meetings, quality assurance, performance improvement initiatives, and all activities that include assessment and provision of care and department cohesiveness.
- Participates in education, mentoring of medical and nursing students and as a speaker for professional presentations when requested of Lactation Services.
- Performs duties and responsibilities in a manner consistent with the MGUH mission of cura personalis, MGUH vision, and the mission of the Lactation Services Department including but not limited to daily rounding, out-patient consults, prenatal education, discharge planning, follow-up calls, rental & sales of breastfeeding equipment, medical & nursing staff education, and documentation
- Communicates clearly, accurately, and effectively to peers, medical & nursing staff, visitors, and other departments to facilitate patient care.
- Attends a minimum of 3 professional continuing education presentations a year.
- Assumes other duties and responsibilities that are appropriate to the position and area. The above responsibilities area general description of the level and nature of the work assigned to this classification and are not to be considered as all-inclusive.
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians work in a variety of settings across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal fulfillment.","industry":"Healthcare
Apply on company website