MedStar Georgetown University Hospital is a not-for-profit, acute-care teaching and research hospital with 609 beds located in Northwest Washington, D.C. Founded in the Jesuit principle of cura personalis—caring for the whole person—MedStar Georgetown is committed to offering a variety of innovative diagnostic and treatment options within a trusting and compassionate environment.
MedStar Georgetown's centers of excellence include neurosciences, transplant, cancer, and gastroenterology. Along with Magnet® nurses, internationally recognized physicians, advanced research and cutting-edge technologies, MedStar Georgetown's healthcare professionals have a reputation for medical excellence and leadership.
Performs specimen testing and analysis on patient samples to aid the clinician in providing patient care services. Ensures that all quality control, quality assurance and equipment maintenance is documented and maintained according to standards. Provides exceptional customer service as needed. These functions are performed in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations and Georgetown University Hospital's philosophy, policies, procedures, and standards.
Education, Experience, and License Requirements
- B.S. Degree required, preferably in Medical Laboratory Science or a related field.
- One-year laboratory experience, preferred.
- ASCP, NCA or ABHI certification required. Eligible candidates will be accepted and expected to sit & pass certification exam within the first 12 months of employment.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Specimen Testing and Preparation
- Performs documents and reports routine and specialized testing in assigned area. Correlates laboratory findings with disease stage, integrates and relates data from other laboratory specialty areas. Confirms abnormal results and specimen discrepancies and institutes correct follow-up procedures.
- Utilizes judgment and discretion in considering sample integrity, process calibration, reagent concentration and stability, quality control relationship to unknown results, evaluation of unexpected patient results and error identification.
- Immediately notifies patient care areas and/or physicians of critical values and documents notification by following established policies and procedures.
- Evaluates specimen integrity and acceptability for test performance; obtains specimens for quantitative and qualitative analyses.
- Accessions specimens received in the laboratory in the laboratory information system.
- Utilizes computer appropriately for entry of results, quality control, specimen inquiry, and patient inquiry.
- Quality Control
- Performs and documents quality control according to manufacture specifications, laboratory specifications and/or regulatory specifications.
- Institutes corrective action and notifies supervisor of quality control problems.
- Reviews section SOP manual and ensures testing practices match SOP guidelines.
- Quality Assurance / Regulatory / Safety
- Completes competency assessment within 90 days of hire and annually thereafter, or as needed to meet all regulatory requirements.
- Actively participates in proficiency testing as assigned. Achieves satisfactory rating on proficiency testing results.
- As needed, assists supervisor with any regulatory requests and/or inspections.
- Works collectively with co-workers to ensure laboratory meets and exceeds all safety requirements, including but not limited to maintaining temperature charts, equipment logs, control materials, laboratory cleanliness and transportation of hazardous wastes to the department's pick-up area.
- Complies with all designated safety policies and procedures in the work area, including the use of applicable protective equipment when necessary to prevent exposure to potentially infectious agents.
- Customer Service
- Complies with department customer service standards (i.e. answering phone within 3 rings, identifying self to caller or customer in person, promptly attending to customer needs)
- Ensures that turnaround time standards are met within the lab section.
- Always maintains a positive image when interacting with others outside of the laboratory. Proactively aid the outside department when needed.
- Equipment Maintenance and Inventory
- Maintains equipment logs and performs routine calibration and preventative maintenance on instruments and equipment in accordance with established guidelines.
- Proactively contacts vendor & Supervisor when service is needed.
- Helps to maintain adequate stock of supplies as requested.
- Maintains inventory of reagents, equipment and supplies necessary for the performance of testing in the assign area. Understands reagent stability and follows manufacturer recommended storage conditions.
- Assists in the evaluation of new procedures and equipment as requested.
- Laboratory General
- Maintains files for patient specimens, reports and other quality control materials as needed.
- Completes patient test billing as needed.
- Proactively reviews pending log to ensure patient care tests are not missed, resulted correctly, and meet turnaround time standards.
- Participates in continuing education and complete require CEUs per year.
- Provides training / retraining and continuing education to others as assigned by the Supervisor, Laboratory Manager, and Administrative Director, Laboratory Director or equivalent.
- Observes Joint Commission (JC) standards, Patient Safety initiatives, Patient Rights, and HIPAA Privacy standards
- Follows care, documentation, and cleanliness standards in the performance of job duties.
- Completes in-services and education on a timely basis.
- Completes continuing education requirements for recertion as required by certification organizations (ASCP/NCA, ABHI or local licensure).
- Is focused on patient safety during performance of duties and improves or makes corrections when safety issues arise; notifies department manager, as required.
- Interacts with other team members both on the unit and in other units in an appropriate and proactive way to benefit the patient.
- Observes proper elevator etiquette and courtesy: smiles and speaks to patients and visitors, does not discuss patient care, and keeps voice low, gives right-of-way to patients and visitors.
- Keeps all patient information strictly confidential.
- Never discusses patient information and hospital business in public areas; and
- Protects patient privacy in public areas.
- Adheres to all JC and GUH Patient Rights standards.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities that are appropriate to the position and area. The above responsibilities are a general description of the level and nature of the work assigned to this classification and is not to be considered as all inclusive.
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians work in a variety of settings across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal fulfillment.","industry":"Healthcare
Apply on company website