About MedStar Georgetown's Surgery Center
The Surgery Center provides pre- and postoperative care for patients at MedStar Georgetown University Hospital. The Surgery Center supports 23 operating rooms that deliver inpatient and outpatient services along the following service lines: orthopedics, neurosurgery, limb salvage, gynecological surgery, otolaryngology, robotics, urology, pediatrics, thoracic, and general surgery. Our highest priority is patient safety and providing exceptional patient care every day to every patient.
As a Surgery Center Nurse, you will coordinate the pre- and postoperative care of the surgical patient and ensure it is delivered safely in a fast-paced, complex environment. Surgery Center nurses provide 3 phases of care, including Pre-Op, Phase I Post Anesthesia Care and Phase II Post Anesthesia Care.
Pre-Op: The nurse is responsible for completing a preoperative assessment, obtaining a patient history, administering preoperative medications, completing patient education and providing emotional support to the patient and their loved ones while working in close collaboration with the multidisciplinary team to complete the necessary safety checks prior to entering the OR.
Phase I Post Anesthesia Care: In this immediate postoperative phase of recovery, the nurse continually assesses and addresses basic life-sustaining needs of the patient. Nursing care focuses on airway management, re-establishing hemodynamic stability with frequent surgical site & vital sign assessments, and pain management. In collaboration with the multidisciplinary team, the nurse will use critical thinking to determine the next most appropriate level of care and facilitate the safe transfer of the patient to that location, including discharge home, admission to an inpatient bed, or transitioning to an intensive care setting.
Phase II Post Anesthesia Care: Phase II nursing care consists of assessing the patient for the appropriateness of discharge home while preparing the patient and loved ones for safe self-care at home. Effective patient education is essential in this phase of recovery. Nursing judgment, critical thinking, and patient advocacy are essential when evaluating the recovery status and readiness of the patient to be discharged home.
The Surgery Center values nursing education and professional development. As a result, newly hired nurses are provided a comprehensive orientation, designed by a clinical nurse educator and customized to the nurses' skills and experience. Additionally, the clinical nurse educator coordinates ongoing educational programs designed to meet the unique needs of all Surgery Center associates, including nurses, nurse residents, clinical technicians, patient care associates and suite attendants.
- EDUCATION AND/OR TRAINING REQUIRED: Graduate of an accredited School of Nursing; Bachelor's degree or higher in Nursing preferred.
- LICENSURE AND/OR CERTIFICATION: Current D.C. license as a Registered Professional Nurse upon hire; certification in Basic Life Support. Certification in specialty or related specialty preferred.
- EXPERIENCE: To meet unit criteria, at least two (2) years recent acute care experience in the relevant patient care area preferred. Two years of perioperative or ICU experience preferred.
- SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE/SKILLS/ABILITIES: Ability to perform the nursing technologies. Effective verbal and written communication skills. Ability to set priorities and work under stress.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- PRACTICE & QUALITY
- Provides relationship-based care that promotes continuous, consistent, efficient and accountable delivery of nursing care using the nursing process.
- Demonstrates professional practice utilizing the framework of the professional practice model and is grounded in a culture of safety and quality.
- COMMUNICATION & COLLABORATION
- Communicates and collaborates with inter-professional groups to ensure coordination, continuity and safe care.
- Supports and contributes to the unit, department and organizational goals inclusive of the mission, vision and values.
- Demonstrates advocacy and support on behalf of inter-professional teams and patients.
- Delegates and supervises nursing staff in providing patient care and assumes leadership roles, e.g., charge nurse role. Participates in the development and implementation of quality activities.
- PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
- Serves as a preceptor or mentor.
- Participates in professional development activities.
- Incorporates evidence-based practice and research into patient care delivery.
About MedStar Georgetown University Hospital:
MedStar Georgetown University Hospital is a not-for-profit, acute-care teaching and research hospital with 609 beds located in Northwest Washington, D.C. Along with Magnet® nurses, internationally recognized physicians, advanced research and cutting-edge technologies, our healthcare professionals have a reputation for medical excellence and leadership. As the first hospital in Washington, D.C. to achieve Magnet® Recognition, we have demonstrated our excellence in nursing care, innovative professional nursing practice, and nursing satisfaction.
Founded in the Jesuit principle of cura personalis—caring for the whole person—we are committed to offering a variety of innovative diagnostic and treatment options within a trusting and compassionate environment. Our mission is what sets us apart - and makes MedStar Georgetown a special place to work.About MedStar Health
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians work in a variety of settings across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal fulfillment.","industry":"Healthcare
Apply on company website