MedStar Georgetown University Hospital is a not-for-profit, acute-care teaching and research hospital with 609 beds located in Northwest Washington, D.C. Founded in the Jesuit principle of cura personalis—caring for the whole person—MedStar Georgetown is committed to offering a variety of innovative diagnostic and treatment options within a trusting and compassionate environment.
MedStar Georgetown's centers of excellence include neurosciences, transplant, cancer, and gastroenterology. Along with Magnet® nurses, internationally recognized physicians, advanced research and cutting-edge technologies, MedStar Georgetown's healthcare professionals have a reputation for medical excellence and leadership
Works in collaboration with a multidisciplinary health care team based in the department of Neurosurgery, managing the neuroscience patient population in the inpatient and outpatient setting at MedStar Georgetown Neurosurgery Division of Southern Maryland and other locations upon mutual agreement. Physician Assistant works with Neurosurgery Physician(s), aiding with patient evaluation, including completion of patient histories, physical examinations, and consultations. Assists with neurosurgical procedures under the supervision of the primary Neurosurgeon. Participates in the coordination of discharge planning with all members of the health care team and acts as a resource for Case Management. These functions are performed in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations and MedStar Medical Group philosophy, policies, procedures, and standards. This position is located in Clinton, Maryland
Education, Experience, and License Requirements
- Completion and graduation from an accredited Physician Assistant program.
- PA certification, District of Columbia, and Maryland licensure.
- CPR certification required
- 3-5 years neurosurgical experience preferred
- Assists with the daily management of patient flow through Neurosurgery conducts History and Physical exam of new and returning patients as well as obtains the appropriate consent for the procedure the patient requires. Evaluates laboratory values and all necessary documents for the patient prior to the procedure.
- Discusses the patient assessment, diagnostic studies, and treatment approach for each patient with the primary Neurosurgeon. Discusses treatment plan with the patient and other members of the health care team and coordinates necessarily follow up visits.
- Attends and participates in neurosurgical conferences, including mortality and morbidity conference as well as journal club. Assists in teaching and instructing the rotating residents and medical students in neurosurgery.
- Assists in daily rounds on inpatients and assists physicians with inpatient consultations. Discusses the plan and clinical evaluation of each patient prior to making final recommendations including complete physical assessment of each patient, their medical records, past medical history, previous radiology studies and appropriate laboratory values.
- Instructs staff, patient and/or family in neurosurgical post-operative care, including incision/wound care and ventriculostomy/drain management, as appropriate.
- Assists Neurosurgeons in the outpatient clinic setting as directed.
- Assists and/or performs, under physician guidance, neurosurgical procedures assigned and approved by the primary neurosurgery physician.
- Participates in the research efforts of the department, including data gathering, patient follow up and other essential aspects of any ongoing study protocols, at the direction of the study investigator
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians work in a variety of settings across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal fulfillment.","industry":"Healthcare
Apply on company website