About MedStar Georgetown's Procedural PACU - 7 West
7 West is MedStar Georgetown University Hospital's 16 bay Procedural PACU. Nurses on 7 West provide the highest quality postoperative care according to ASPAN standards for patients recovering from a variety of procedures including Interventional Radiology, Bronchoscopy and Cardiac Catheterization. Our highest priority is patient safety and providing exceptional patient care every day to every patient.
During the recovery of each patient, the 7 West nurses continually assess and address basic life-sustaining needs of the patient. Nursing care focuses on airway management, re-establishing hemodynamic stability with frequent surgical site and vital sign assessments and pain management. In collaboration with the multidisciplinary team, the nurse will use critical thinking to determine the next most appropriate level of care and facilitate the safe transfer of the patient to that location, including discharge home, return to an inpatient bed or transitioning to an intensive care setting.
7 West values nursing education and professional development. As a result, newly hired nurses are provided a comprehensive orientation, designed by a Clinical Educator and customized to the nurses' skills and experience. Additionally, the Clinical Educator coordinates ongoing educational programs designed to meet the unique needs of all 7 West associates, including nurses, nurse practitioners, clinical technicians and patient care associates. The nurses on 7 West are very engaged, participating in collaborative governance at the unit and hospital level and demonstrating exceptional nursing skill through participation in the Clinical Advancement Program.
Job SummaryThe incumbent in this position is a Department Head who has administrative authority and responsibility for the management and direction of the operational, personnel and financial activities of the Unit/Department. These functions are coordinated with Hospital Administration, Department Heads, Medical Staff and others and are performed in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations and Medstar Georgetown University Hospital's philosophy, policies, procedures and standards. Minimum Qualifications
- Education/Training:Graduate of an accredited School of Nursing. Bachelor's degree in Nursing required. A Master's degree in Nursing preferred, and/or equivalent in experience and/or continuing education. Certification in Nursing Administration within one year of eligibility.
- Experience:A minimum of four years experience preferred to include: one year of related clinical experience and a minimum of two years progressive supervisory/management experience in an acute care facility. Experience in a University Teaching Hospital preferred.
- License/Certification/Registration:Current D.C. license as a Registered Professional Nurse. BLS required.
- Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:Excellent interpersonal and communication skills; expert knowledge of nursing principles, practices and skills; performance improvement principles, expertise in clinical area for which application is made. Demonstrates strong leadership skills and the ability to function independently.
- Plans, directs, implements, monitors, and evaluates a 24 hour nursing care delivery system for a clinical area to ensure that the nursing care performed is according to standards.
- Maintains Clinical Proficiency in specialty area, while continually monitoring and evaluating the quality of care and services that are provided on the unit.
- Coordinates and collaborates with nursing staff, physicians, patients, families and other departments in order to provide patient and unit services.
- Promotes the professional growth and development of staff and students by planning for, participating in and evaluating educational opportunities.
- Approves and facilitates participation of the nursing unit staff in research and development activities.
- Promotes and implements the Shared Governance model centrally and at the unit level.
- Recommends, approves, initiates, and evaluates marketing activities for nursing unit.
- Promotes Performance Initiatives and evidence-based practice through active engagement and development of unit based initiatives.
- Assumes overall responsibility (directly or through delegation to other staff members) for personnel management for the unit/department to include, but not limited to, interviewing, hiring, orienting, training, scheduling, coaching, counseling, evaluating, promoting and terminating employees.
- Appraises, forecasts, and determines future conditions and strategies required to achieve the goals and objectives of the organization in the incumbent's area of expertise.
- Embraces and advances principles inherent in Magnet designation, demonstrating, participates in all 14 forces.
- Formulates, recommends, implements, monitors, and controls operational and capital budgets within administrative guidelines. Assures reconciliation of all outpatient billing/charges and or accurate census for inpatients.
- Safeguards employee and patient rights and promotes a safe and healthy work environment.
- Promotes evidence-based practice and advances the conduct of research at unit and divisional level, integrates findings into practice.
- Leads and assures that all clinical/unit/personnel services are in accordance with standards and criteria established by the Joint Commission, state, local and federal agencies; assures compliance at all times .
- Supports clinical and non-clinical automation applications; encourages use at point-of-service.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities that are appropriate to the position and area. The above responsibilities are a general description of the level and, nature of the work assigned to this position and is not to be considered as all-inclusive.
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians work in a variety of settings across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal fulfillment.","industry":"Healthcare
Apply on company website