The primary responsibility of the Civil/Force Account Engineer position is to handle permit review and/or closeout processes to enforce CDWM policies regarding impact to City's water facilities. This includes review of proposed construction plans from other agencies, utilities, developers, etc., for impacts to the City of Chicago's water facilities and, if necessary design for modification of existing water facilities.
The Civil/Force Account Engineer will be the central point of communication between CDWM and CTR staff with regard to permit review and resolution of technical issues related to design of related facilities. Since a significant portion of the position involves communication with internal and external team members and stakeholders, excellent written and verbal communication skills are critical to success. Additionally, the position requires a high level of organizational ability to simultaneously handle, maintain documentation for, and report status on several active and pending projects.
The CTR Joint Venture provides program management, engineering and construction management services to the Chicago Department of Water Management (CDWM) in Chicago, Illinois. As part of the CTR Program team supporting the CDWM Capital Improvement Program, CTR manages force account work related to managing impacts of external projects (other City agencies, utilities, developers, etc.) to existing CDWM facilities. This position will report to the CTR Force Account Manager.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform engineering review and/or close-out for Force Account projects, in accordance with CDWM policies and standards
- Enforce conformance to applicable CDWM policies and standards for assigned projects
- Examination/review of proposed plans, as prepared by others, for impacts to CDWM facilities
- Design and produce plans, as well as the necessary paperwork, to temporarily/permanently remove/relocate impacted water facilities
- Design and produce plans and necessary paperwork for new water service connections
- Respond to Existing Facility Protection Requests issued by Chicago Office of Underground Coordination
- Address DWM - Bureau of Engineering Services requests for information on existing facilities and on projects by other agencies
- Provide technical support to the CDWM-Bureau of Engineering Services on water facility related matters
- Assist with project status tracking
- Prepare professional correspondences on behalf of the CTR and CDWM
- Support design, pre-construction and construction activities through meetings, communications, engineering review, etc., to best enable success of the project to all stakeholders
- Provide timely consideration and response to questions and issues raised by office/field CTR team members, CDWM, other City agencies, design professionals, contractors, and developers.
- Evaluate and support timely resolution of project technical conflicts, during engineering and construction
- Review and validate submittals/shop drawings and as-built documents used for construction and record
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Engineering experience with utility infrastructure work
- Working knowledge of ArcGIS®
- Detail-orientation to assure deliverables are of high quality and appropriately enforce applicable City policies and standards
- Strong organization skills to simultaneously handle several concurrent projects
- Ability to work under pressure to meet project and task deadlines
- Required proficiency with Microsoft applications, including Windows, Word, Outlook, Excel, SharePoint and Access
- Required B.S. Civil Engineering or Construction Management
- Required Engineer-in-Training (EIT) certification
- Preferred Illinois Professional Engineer (PE) license
- 2+ years of experience (more preferred) in water/wastewater or transportation engineering, land development design, utility engineering, construction and/or project management, and/or general civil engineering/construction for public infrastructure design and construction
- Preferred engineering or construction experience with utility infrastructure work
Important Notice to US Applicants Milhouse Engineering & Construction, Inc. is an at-will employer. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Benefits List: · Medical · Dental · Vision · Life Insurance · Short Term Disability Insurance · 401(k) Plan · Transit Benefits Program · Paid Time Off (PTO) · Employee Education & Development Program · Paid Holidays · Employee Referral Program · Wellness Program · Employee Recognition Program · Lunch and Learns · Milhouse University Classes (Cross Functional Training) · Higher Level Professional Development/Certification support · Paid Maternity and Paternity leave (plus incentives to support you in your first year of parenthood) Apply for this job
Apply on company website