Mondelēz International, Inc. empowers people to snack right in over 150 countries around the world. We're leading the future of snacking with iconic brands such as Oreo, belVita and LU biscuits; Cadbury Dairy Milk, Milka and Toblerone chocolate; Sour Patch Kids candy and Trident gum. Our 80,000 colleagues around the world are key to the success of our business. Great people and great brands. That's who we are.
Join us on our mission to continue leading the future of snacking around the world by offering the right snack, for the right moment, made the right way. It's time for you to Make It with Mondelēz International.
As part of Manufacturing, you'll use your skills, our systems and a wide array of raw materials to help create the delicious finished products our consumers love. While taking ownership in your area of work, you'll also ensure the safety of yourself and your colleagues while producing our top-quality products reliably and efficiently within our integrated supply chain.
The Machine Operator under the direction of the Line Leader is responsible for using the appropriate packaging equipment (i.e. wrapper, robot, cartoner, bagger) to complete the packaging of the product. Must take direction from Line Leader, Line Manager, or Operations Manager regarding any reasonable requirement not specified in the above description for the purpose of achieving manufacturing goals, quality standards and safety requirements.
1. Tasks on Lines 1-6
- Constant observation of the line and early identification of deviation from normal conditions as well as its reasons in order to avoid damages and losses (refers to i.e. machines, equipment, raw material, energy)
- Maintenance of the line (i.e. cleaning, lubrication) and maintenance of the equipment in the context of production activities (Understands the inner-working of the machine and all the settings and how they affect the final package and identify and troubleshoot issues and communicate issues accurately to the Maintenance team for prompt repair or preventing a breakdown)
- Prevention of defects, incidents and losses (i.e. raw material, packaging, products, energy, human resources)
- Early information of supervisors and colleagues about defects, improvements, changes of a machine and raw material
- Identification of opportunities for improvements and independent realization or assignment
- Accurately follow a DPS and troubleshoot wrappers, cartoners, robots and baggers
- Accurately complete paperwork, test seals and other points to ensure package integrity (by hand and using equip). On a rotational basis fix the tape machine while the other packs boxes into packages.
- Apply all relevant safety measures in line with IL6S goals (i.e. emergency stop button, protective enclosure). Apply problem solving methods, social and functional skills according to the skill matrix in the context of introduction and consolidation of IL6S
- Respect GMP guidelines (i.e. quality requirements, SSE guidelines and environmental consciousness) Maintain personal hygiene; Clean uniforms, hair and beard nets are mandatory for GMP.
- Responsible for recording, analyzing and fixing (as applicable) defects, minor Stops, breakdowns as applicable, Sources of contamination, Hard to Reach areas and any other losses that contribute to the deterioration of equipment and its performance
- Able to conduct Pre-Op and Safety Checks, Cartoner, Controls, Load Cartons, Inspect Package Seal, trouble-shoot, Load Film Code, Date Printer, Wrapper Controls, perform Set-up/shut down Procedures, clear a Jam, and adjust the glue guns.
- Report any unsafe, unclean areas or any problems that could cause substandard quality of production
3. Employee Relations/Team-work
- Promote and display good employee relations throughout the plant; is a cooperative and dedicated worker
- Promote and display good work ethic; Demonstrates pride in workmanship • Promote and display good attendance and reliability; Does not abuse breaks and uses downtime wisely
- Promote and display a positive attitude; Talks positively about East York and fellow employees
- Ability to read the shift list and weekly production schedule
- Promote good housekeeping and manufacturing practices (setting an example for other employees within the plant) and ensure personnel on the line /area practice good house-keeping, keep their work areas clean and follows 5S practices
- Demonstrates personal and professional integrity
4. Health and Safety
- Understand, promote and apply Health, Safety and Environmental (HSE) Policies and practices throughout the facility to prevent injury, illness and property damage.
- Understand relevant HSE risks associated with the facility and corresponding control measures.
- Communicate and take action on imminent danger situations, hazards, non-conformities and incident reporting.
- Adhere to relevant HSE programs
- Participate in HSE programs and controls such as: Behavior Based Safety Programs, Defect Management, Incident Management
- Promote and practice safety first philosophy and accident prevention among East York's team • Maintain personal hygiene; Clean uniforms, hair and beard nets are mandatory for GMP
- Ability to follow basic safety on the line/area; including wearing proper PPE • Demonstrates attention to safety and GMPs; Demonstrates LOTO protocol when necessary
- Work in a safe and competent manner, following rules and procedures as required and as outlined in our Health & Safety guidelines
- Report any unsafe condition to your Line Leader
5. Food Safety
- Follow plant food safety and GMP compliance:
- Plant HACCP program
- Allergen Management
- Use proper tools (including chemical & lubrication) that meet company food safety standard
- Maintain a clean and hazardous free work area while supporting and promoting company GMP's, Safety, and Mondelēz policies
- Comply with Company policies, procedures and local legislation • Report all quality and food safety related issues immediately to the Line Leader or Manager for corrections and corrective actions
- Awareness of what a quality/in-spec cookie and package looks like • Demonstrated awareness and commitment to quality
- Understand allergens and kosher status and how to handle
- Good knowledge of HACCP and WHMIS
- Own Integrated Lean Six Sigma (IL6S) culture by learning its Concepts, Purpose, and Work Processes
- Apply problem solving methods, social and functional skills according to the skill matrix in the context of introduction and consolidation of IL6S
- Identify Kaizens/One Point Lessons (OPL)/Sources of Contamination (SOC)/KAI/KPIs/other
7. Special Projects
- Support new product trials
- Support line/equipment improvements to meet ergonomics, productivity, health and safety initiatives
- As assigned by management
- Minimum High School Diploma.
- Previous experience in machine operating is desired.
- Must be able to work on all shifts.
1. Machine Operating skills
- Able to accurately follow a DPS and troubleshoot wrappers, cartoners, robots and baggers
- Able to accurately complete paperwork
- Is capable of lifting rolls of film (at least average 10kg) and paper rolls and cases of cartons
- Pays attention and is aware of the machine's operation and its effect on the package
- Understands the inner-working of the machine and all the settings and how they affect the final package
- Must be able to identify and troubleshoot issues and communicate issues accurately to the Maintenance
- team for prompt repair or preventing a breakdown
- Comfortably use digital controllers
- Comfortable testing seals and other points to ensure package integrity (by hand and using equip.)
- Is adaptable and can learn new tasks
2. Ability to work in teams
- Puts aside their personal agenda, in order to collaborate with team to attain common objectives;
- Actively and attentively listens, supports others, and positively contributes to a healthy work
- Is sensitive to other's needs and detects when it is necessary to help others; understands and respects
- different points of view
3. Ergonomic Awareness
- Uses proper lifting techniques
- Knowledgeable of ergo stretches that help relieve muscles used on the job
4. Communication skills
- Ability to communicate clearly in English; Speak English while on the line and in production areas
- Able to communicate well with Line Leaders, other team members and management
- Good English reading and writing skills
- Must be able to follow direction well.
- Be familiar with Integrated Lean Six Sigma (IL6S) Concepts, CBN, tools, systems and work processes.
- Attend DMS Meetings as required.
Other Comments/Relevant Information:
- The Machine Operator plays an important role in the introduction and consolidation of IL6S because he/she is one of the first employees being involved in IL6S processes and applying IL6S methods.
- Lifting: Average 10 kgs
- Reaching: Full extension
- Repetition: high
- Noise: background
- Responsibility: Plant Packaging
- Vehicle Operations: Pump truck
- Job requires the physical demands of fast paced moving, bending and lifting as needed.
If you are applying to a position in Canada, accommodations for applicants with disabilities or other grounds protected by human rights legislation are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the employment selection process. For all internal and external applicants who require accommodation in the recruitment and selection process please contact 847-943-5460 for assistance/support. Applicants must complete all required steps in the application process, including providing a Resume/CV, in order to be considered for this position.
Applicants must complete all required steps in the application process, including providing education and work history, in order to be considered for this position. All applicants will receive an email after submitting the first stage of the application. This email will include a link to return to the second stage of the application process. If you had previously submitted a resume, you will need to confirm/verify education and work history. For those that did not submit a resume, you will need to manually enter education and work history.
Apply on company website