Position Application materials will be reviewed every two (2) weeks until position is filled. Please allow two (2) weeks for processing of all application materials after the priority screening date. The eligible list established from this recruitment may be used to fill future temporary and permanent positions as vacancies arise. (Postmarks and faxes not accepted) Exam#22/80K23/04SS.
Natividad is currently seeking to fill various Hospital Medical Interpreter-Trilingual Required needs. This incumbent performs a variety of interpreting, translating, and escorting activities at Natividad; utilizes both English and other required language to facilitate communication between patients, families and hospital staff; serves as a liaison for patients and families who need interpretation assistance; performs general clerical duties as needed and performs other related duties as assigned. Examples of Duties THE SIGNIFICANT DUTIES OF THE POSITION ARE AS FOLLOWS:
- Through interpretation and/or translation adapts a wide range of language skills, instruction, terminology, concepts, theories and emotions to serve the communication needs of the involved parties.
- Interprets a foreign language into English, or vice versa, for patients, families and hospital staff.
- Uses English and other required language to interpret complicated medical procedures, medical diagnoses, treatment options, doctors' instructions and other information regarding treatment and medical care required for patients.
- Uses English and other required language skills to interpret patients' physical histories and symptoms of disorder; may obtain informed consent from the patient, next of kin or legal guardian to receive treatment; explains and interprets patients' right and responsibilities.
- Uses English and other required language skills to explain and interpret hospital policies, procedures and protocols to patients, their families and other involved parties.
- Uses English and other required language skills to assist Hospital staff by interpreting or translating forms, documents and procedures to patients, family members and the general public.
- Performs general clerical duties including typing, filing, answering phones and scheduling patients for appointments; provides Hospital information to the general public which may or may not require the use of foreign language skills.
- May provide input to committees, task forces, or various groups/individuals regarding the communications needs of the indigenous population; may recommend materials, processes and/or procedures to facilitate and improve communication with that population.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE will have a proven track record demonstrating the following
Working knowledge of:
- The proper use of English and/or other required language grammar, syntax and vocabulary.
- The special communication and cultural needs of foreign language speaking individuals.
- Medical terminology and vocabulary, both in English and/or other required language, commonly used in an acute care hospital setting.
- The use of personal computers.
- Basic principles of mathematics.
- The general operations of an acute care hospital; principles of providing customer service in a health care environment.
- General clerical and office methods and procedures.
- Interpret/translate/ routine and complex words, thoughts and feelings using both English and other required languages.
- Hear spoken speech communication to interpret at an appropriate speed and level to efficiently and effectively convey the message.
- Adapt the interpretation process to the individual communication needs of others based on their fluency, language skills, and/or other communication barriers.
- Learn new terminology and vocabulary to improve interpretation skills and effectiveness.
- Serve as a liaison between the health care team, the physician and the patient.
- Maintain safe working conditions by complying with established safety policies and procedures.
- Operate a personal computer.
- Prepare routine written communications; maintain records; read and understand job-related material.
- Maintain strict medical confidentiality of information as required by law and Hospital policy.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Provide sensitive and competent service to customers who may be anxious or in substantial distress.
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with others including physicians, nurses, administrators, managers, vendors, and other health care industry personnel.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE: Successful completion of an approved 40 hour Interpreter Course or equivalency from an accredited college or an Industry accepted interpreter training AND Six (6) months of experience providing interpretation in a public or private health care setting. Additional Information CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Natividad requires that all incumbents pass a pre-employment physical/medical assessment.
- Natividad will conduct a thorough background and reference check process which includes a Department of Justice fingerprint check.
- Employees who drive on County business to carry out job related duties must possess a valid CA Driver License for the class vehicle driven.
- Employees must have and show their original Social Security Card and a valid CA Driver License or CA State ID prior to the first day of work.
- Incumbents may be required to work all shifts, including weekends and holidays.
The screening process is tentative. Should a change be made, applicants will be notified. The competitive process includes:
APPLICATION SUBMISSION: A completed Monterey County Application may be obtained from and submitted to the Natividad Human Resources Office, 1441 Constitution Blvd., Bldg. 300, Salinas, CA. 93906, or On-line applications may be submitted at www.natividad.com; resume and license and/or certifications (if applicable) may be attached to your online application or emailed separately to: GarciaDL@natividad.com. Resumes will be accepted in addition to, but not in lieu of the required application materials. For more information or to obtain regular paper application materials please contact the Natividad HR, 1441 Constitution Blvd.,(831) 783-2700, M - F, 7:30 a.m.- 5:00p.m.
QUALIFICATIONS APPRAISAL: All licenses/certificates will be verified via primary source. Completed application materials will be competitively evaluated. Please note: The initial screening for this position uses ONLY the applicant's answers to the Supplemental Questions. Screeners (who are Subject Matter Experts) are not given the application and/or resumes at this point in the process. Therefore, your answers to the Supplemental Questions are critical. The best-qualified applicants will be invited to participate further in the process.
QUALIFICATIONS ASSESSMENT: To further assess applicants' possession of required qualifications, this process may include an oral examination, pre-exam exercise, performance exam, or physical ability exam.
- If you believe you possess a disability that would require test accommodation, please contact the HR Analyst for Natividad at (831) 783-2711.
- Employment is contingent upon acceptable documentation verifying identity and authorization for employment in the United States.
- If you are hired into this classification in a temporary position, you will not be eligible for the benefits.
Apply on company website