Application materials will be reviewed in an ongoing basis until positions are filled. Please allow up to (2) two weeks for processing of application materials. (Postmarks and faxes not accepted.) The eligible list established by this recruitment maybe used to fill current and future permanent or Per Diem vacancies as they arise. Exam# 22/50D11/04SS.
Natividad is currently seeking to fill a permanent, full time Medical Laboratory Technician position. Under supervision, performs laboratory tests or examinations classified as waived or of moderate complexity; performs other duties as assigned.. Examples of Duties THE SIGNIFICANT DUTIES OF THE POSITION ARE AS FOLLOWS:
- Performs all duties of a Clinical Laboratory Assistant
- Performs tests and examinations classified as waived and moderate complexity by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in the specialties of chemistry including routine chemistry, urinalysis, endocrinology, and toxicology; hematology including coagulation; microbiology including bacteriology, mycobacteriology, mycology, parasitology, and virology; and immunology including syphilis serology and general immunology, including microscopic urinalysis of moderate complexity; blood typing of moderate complexity, such as automated ABO/Rh testing and antibody screen testing; and blood smear reviews of moderate complexity, other than manual leukocyte differentials
- Receives, prioritizes, logs in, and enters data for specimens, checking for specimen acceptability and integrity; prepares patient log sheets
- Receives and prepares specimens for analysis by manual or automated procedures
- Performs a variety of tests in the various laboratory units manually, and on mechanical and electronic laboratory equipment such as chemical analyzers, hematology analyzers, urinalysis analyzers, coagulation analyzers, blood gas machines, and various other laboratory equipment
- Performs maintenance and troubleshoots errors on laboratory equipment
- Reads and interprets printouts, reviewing for panic values or potential erroneous results
- Answers questions from medical personnel regarding testing procedures and results; transmits test results, including state and critical-value results
- Performs venous and capillary punctures for blood collection; prepares, handles, and disperses laboratory specimens; prepares specimens for referral to outside laboratories
- Performs monthly inventory for the purpose of ordering equipment supplies
Required License: Possession of a valid license as a Medical Laboratory Technician issued by the California Department of Public Health, Laboratory Field Services (Please ensure that the name on your license/certification either matches the name on your application or is indicated somewhere on your application, as all licenses/certifications will be verified via primary source).
Working knowledge of:
- Laboratory methods and procedures used in waived and moderately complex testing
- Operation, use, and care of laboratory equipment used for waived and moderately complex tests
- Fundamentals of anatomy, physiology, biology, chemistry, and elementary mathematics
- Medical terminology and laboratory vocabulary abbreviations
- Proper safety precautions and procedures utilized in handling all types of laboratory specimens, reagents, chemicals, and hazardous waste
- Phlebotomy techniques and specimen handling and integrity issues
Skill and Ability to:
- Perform a wide variety of waived and moderately complex laboratory tests and procedures with skill and accuracy according to prescribed procedures
- Keep accurate records and use a laboratory information system
- Clean and care for laboratory equipment
- Perform venous and skin punctures for specimen collection
- Learn and apply specialized techniques accurately and rapidly
- Operate, perform maintenance on, and troubleshoot a variety of laboratory instruments and equipment
- Follow oral and written directions
- Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships
Education: Completion of any education and experience pattern accepted by the California Department of Health Care Services for licensure as a Medical Laboratory Technician. Additional Information
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Natividad requires that all incumbents pass a pre-employment physical/medical assessment.
- Natividad will conduct a thorough background and reference check process which includes a Department of Justice fingerprint check.
- Employees who drive on County business to carry out job related duties must possess a valid CA Driver License for the class vehicle driven and clean driving record.
- Employees must have and show their original Social Security Card and a valid CA Driver License or CA State ID prior to the first day of work.
- Incumbents may be required to work all shifts, including weekends and holidays;
- Incumbents may be required to work with potentially hazardous and infectious substances.
APPLICATION SUBMISSION: A completed Monterey County Application may be obtained from and submitted to the Natividad Human Resources Office, 1441 Constitution Blvd., Bldg. 300, Salinas, CA. 93906, or On-line applications may be submitted at www.natividad.com; resume and license and/or certifications (if applicable) may be attached to your online application or emailed separately to: GarciaDL@natividad.com. Resumes will be accepted in addition to, but not in lieu of the required application materials. For more information or to obtain regular paper application materials please contact the Natividad HR, 1441 Constitution Blvd.,(831) 783-2700, M - F, 7:30 a.m.- 5:00p.m.
QUALIFICATIONS APPRAISAL: All licenses/certificates will be verified via primary source. Completed application materials will be competitively evaluated. Please note: The initial screening for this position uses ONLY the applicant's answers to the Supplemental Questions. Screeners (who are Subject Matter Experts) are not given the application and/or resumes at this point in the process. Therefore, your answers to the Supplemental Questions are critical. The best-qualified applicants will be invited to participate further in the process.
QUALIFICATIONS ASSESSMENT: To further assess applicants' possession of required qualifications, this process may include an oral examination, pre-exam exercise, performance exam, or physical ability exam.
ELIGIBLE LIST: Applicants successful in the Qualifications Assessment process will be placed on an eligible list for possible final selection interview. This eligible list will be used to fill current and future vacancies.
- If you believe you possess a disability that would require test accommodation, please contact the HR Analyst for Natividad at (831) 783-2711.
- Employment is contingent upon acceptable documentation verifying identity and authorization for employment in the United States.
- If you are hired into this classification in a temporary position, you will not be eligible for the benefits.
Apply on company website