PRIORITY SCREENING DATE: Wednesday, August 19, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. for a guaranteed review. Application materials received after this date will be reviewed in an ongoing basis until position is filled. Please allow up to (2) two weeks for processing of application materials. (Postmarks and faxes not accepted.) The eligible list established by this recruitment maybe used to fill current and future permanent or temporary vacancies as they arise. Exam# 20/16C55/08CR
POSITION DESCRIPTION Natividad is currently seeking a permanent, full-time Systems Programmer Analyst III position in the Information Systems department. This positions will evaluate, configure, install, modify, update, maintain and troubleshoot computer application platforms and peripherals for system performance, reliability, and availability, and consults with departments to evaluate the need for automated technology to meet customer needs. The incumbents may configure, produce, and execute system utility programs, configure and install operating system software, and configure, tune and install application software and perform other work as required. Examples of Duties SIGNIFICANT DUTIES
- Analyzes system operational requirements, (a) builds utilities, tools, and routines to meet those requirements, (b) resolves single - event issues and (c) ensures inter-product compatibility. Manages, coordinates and implements concurrent projects that typically are medium to high risk, include multiple departments and new technologies and have a significant financial or operational impact on key business processes.
- Consults with clients, other departments, department staff, vendors, and technical support personnel to (a) determine customer application platform hosting needs and functions, (b) propose application platform configurations to meet customer needs, and (c) determine operating procedures and systems design to ensure system performance meets user requirements.
- Conducts feasibility studies, including cost benefit analyses, to determine appropriate and cost effective application hosting solutions and to assist in evaluating long-range office automation, information processing, and communications technology needs. Recommends automation hardware, peripherals, and software necessary to implement system design.
- Prepares systems specifications and bid proposals and assist in analysis of bids.
- Interacts with vendors, staff and clients to clarify and resolve application technical operational and management issues/needs.
- Installs, tests, and updates system software and departmentally developed or third-party application software products for delivery over proprietary, local, and wide area computer networks.
- Provides technical support and expertise to evaluate and recommend resolution of difficult technical system problems.
- Evaluates and configures systems for system performance and serviceability, reliability, availability, and performs operational requirement studies within a system environment context, and recommends enhancements or changes to the system configuration to maintain optimum system performance and utility.
- Writes user guides, system standards, and technical system documentation.
- May produce, text, and execute utility programs using advanced system language.
- Plan, develops, and implements backup and recovery procedures for large complex systems which may involve multiple platforms.
- Monitors and analyzes application platform processor and storage capacity utilization. Prepares plans and recommendations for capacity modifications to meet changing utilization trends.
- Keeps abreast in current application platform developments, system technology, and trends.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE Will have proven track record demonstrating his/her knowledge of:
- The capabilities, limitations, and principles of systems and peripherals; the principles, methods, and procedures used in system capacity and performance evaluation; mathematical and statistical methods applicable to the analysis and evaluation of system performance.
- Techniques and methods of systems analysis and design; computer system configuration and configuration management concepts; the basic principles and techniques of computer programming and code development; the basic principles and techniques of data networks and their relationship to Monterey County network operational components; the principles and techniques of system administration; security methods for managing confidential data; problem diagnosis and troubleshooting techniques to evaluate system failures and prescribe corrective action; application backup and recovery concepts and methods.
Communicate effectively both orally and in writing; establish and maintain effective working relationships; read, understand, interpret, and apply complex technical manuals, computer dumps, memory displays, charts, and graphs; follow oral and written instructions; work independently under limited supervision, exercise initiative within established procedural guidelines, and organize and prioritize work to meet established deadlines; write clear and concise systems specifications, bid proposals, operating and training manuals, and technical standards and documentation.
A typical way to acquire the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed above is:
Education and Experience: Completion of a four (4) year degree in Computer Science or closely related filed with emphasis in theory and practice of using computer equipment AND three (3) years of professional level computer operating systems software support experience equivalent to that of a Systems Programmer Analyst II in the Monterey County. Two years of experience must include project management and/or lead supervision. - OR - Seven (7) years of experience in systems analysis, computer programming, or operations.
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS A combination of experience, education, and/or training which substantially demonstrates the following knowledge, skills and abilities is highly desirable:
Working knowledge: the availability and capability of third-party systems software and utilities; installation parameters and options for typical application solution packages and their resultant impacts on overall system performance; established hospital information technology architecture plans and directions.
Skill and Ability to: Gather, organize, and evaluate complex data; draw logical conclusions and make effective recommendations; understand the impact of organizational, administrative, and personnel aspects of new information systems designs; complete studies to determine automation needs and recommend cost effective systems alternatives; manage multi-faceted projects; plan, coordinate, and review the work of others Additional Information CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Natividad requires that all incumbents pass a pre-employment physical/medical assessment.
- Natividad will conduct a thorough background and reference check process which includes a Department of Justice fingerprint check.
- Employees who drive on County business to carry out job related duties must possess a valid CA Driver License for the class vehicle driven.
- Employees must have and show their original Social Security Card and a valid CA Driver License or CA State ID prior to the first day of work.
- Incumbents may be required to work all shifts, including weekends and holidays;
- Incumbents may be required to work with potentially hazardous and infectious substances.
QUALIFICATIONS APPRAISAL: Completed application materials will be competitively evaluated. The best-qualified applicants will be invited to participate further in the process
QUALIFICATIONS ASSESSMENT: To further assess applicants' possessions of required qualifications, this process may include an oral examination, pre-exam exercise, performance exam, or physical ability exam.
ELIGIBLE LIST: Applicants successful in the Qualifications Assessment process will be placed on an eligible list for possible final selection interview. This eligible list will be used to fill current and future vacancies. SPECIAL NOTES
- If you believe you possess a disability that would require test accommodation, please contact the Personnel Analyst for Natividad at (831) 783-2711.
- Employment is contingent upon acceptable documentation verifying identity and authorization for employment in the United States.
- If you are hired into this classification in a temporary position, your salary will be hourly and you will not be eligible for benefits.
Apply on company website