Working at Norfolk Southern is a unique experience, where heritage, stability, and innovation live together. Norfolk Southern is one of the largest railroad operators in the country and provides premium shipping service and reliable logistics solutions for customers in 22 states and the District of Columbia. In combination with business partnerships and connections with other carriers, NS ships every product imaginable to and from any destination, linking communities and customers to the marketplaces of the world.
New employees choose to join Norfolk Southern because they love our people and culture, they get to work with leading edge technologies, and they are faced with extremely complex and critical problems to solve that have great impacts on a significant part of the supply chain in North America. At Norfolk Southern, our mission is to be the safest, most customer-focused, and successful transportation company in the world. In today's fast-paced, tech-driven marketplace, Norfolk Southern recognizes that advanced technologies must be deployed across all areas of the business.
We are seeking an individual who can effectively support the company's cloud computing environments and design future cloud architectures. Provide technical and architectural guidance on components of the cloud as it pertains to front end platforms, servers, storage, and networks. Develop and implement cloud governance and strategies. Collaborate with IT and business units to evaluate cloud requirements. The individual must be forward looking and possess strong communication, presentation, and multi-tasking capabilities.Job Responsibilities:
- Determine optimal cloud architecture solutions that will meet strategic company needs.
- Develop cloud governance and strategy around policies and principles best fit for the company's current environment.
- Regularly evaluate cloud applications and hardware currently deployed in the environment.
- Provide technical leadership in the design and development of cloud enterprise architecture services and components.
- Collaborate with IT Security to ensure cloud architectures receive proper review and approval. Ensure the cloud environments are properly monitored and vulnerabilities are addressed appropriately.
- Participate in discussions with enterprise architecture teams to evaluate new and emerging cloud technologies, architecture, principles and strategies.
- Provides direction to the IT development groups on support of current business application needs with currently supported cloud technologies. Identifies changes or additions needed to the current architecture to best support current and future business application needs as it relates to cloud strategy.
- Design and conduct ongoing education of the IT staff in the use of cloud architecture utilities, modules, components, and processes.
- Effectively create and maintain documentation and knowledge repositories to be shared to the IT departments and appropriate business partners.
- Exercise successful change management communication by collaborating with the OCM and IT teams in the organization.
- The incumbent participates in the development of guiding cloud architectural principles and strategies and applies these to defining guidelines, rules, and standards to guide enterprise cloud architectural decisions.
- The incumbent has a strong conceptual understanding of IT infrastructure and Application development. You will utilize that expertise and experience to make key technical cloud recommendations on systems and technologies taking into account the current infrastructure and existing/emerging technologies.
- The incumbent interacts with business department and IT development groups to develop and maintain an understanding of how technology is used in the business systems and to maintain a good understanding of the future business direction of a cloud strategy.
- The incumbent must have communication skills. The individual will work with the Information Security, Infrastructure, and IT Application development departments to ensure that an appropriate standard cloud strategy is established for each applicable infrastructure and application case. The incumbent must also work with others in IT and in other departments to ensure that architectural processes are being followed and that architectural checkpoints are integrated into existing processes.
- The incumbent must be knowledgeable of cloud environments such as Azure, Google and AWS. They must possess the ability to design, implement, and support cloud infrastructure. The individual will possess extensive knowledge of cloud computing, architectural design and implementation, and cloud operational support.
- The incumbent must have leadership capabilities. They will need to possess analytical and problem- solving skills with timely decision-making capabilities. The ability to multitask, prioritize assignments and exert interpersonal and customer service skills will be important. The individual should be highly motivated and self-directed with the ability to see the longterm vision.
- The incumbent will possess 3+ years of experience in cloud architectural design and support, information technology operations, and information technology architecture. He/she will have an expert level knowledge of public and private cloud integration into the environment. Professional Cloud Architect certifications are desired.
Shift Work: No
Weekend Work: Yes
Travel Required: 0 - 2 Days per Month,Company Overview
Norfolk Southern Corporation (NYSE: NSC) is a Fortune 300 organization and one of the nation's premier transportation companies. Its Norfolk Southern Railway Company subsidiary operates approximately 19,500 route miles in 22 states and the District of Columbia, serves every major container port in the eastern United States, and provides efficient connections to other rail carriers. Norfolk Southern is a major transporter of industrial products, including chemicals, agriculture, and metals and construction materials. In addition, the railroad operates the most extensive intermodal network in the East and is a principal carrier of coal, automobiles, and automotive parts.
At Norfolk Southern, we believe in celebrating our individuality. By leveraging the unique backgrounds and viewpoints of our employees, we can create a culture of innovation, respect, and inclusion. We know that employees thrive in a workplace where differing viewpoints, ideas, and experiences are freely shared and valued. As such, we encourage all employees to contribute their distinctive skills and capabilities to our organization.
Equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants regardless of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetic information, veteran status, sexual orientation, and gender identity. Together, we power progress.
Effective December 8, 2021, NS has paused its implementation of the COVID-19 vaccine mandate given the dynamic legal proceedings. The ultimate outcome of the federal contractor vaccine mandate is yet to be determined. It is still possible that the mandate, as it applies to NS, could be upheld in court in the near future. If the mandate is upheld, NS employees will be required to be vaccinated or have an approved medical or religious accommodation.
Apply on company website