Requisition 20191: Electrical Systems Engineer
#LI - JR
ELECTRICAL SYSTEMS ENGINEER Roanoke, VA - Engineering Department
The Norfolk Southern Engineering Department (Track Geometry Group) operates and maintains precision, real-time, track inspection vehicles.
We are presently seeking an Electrical Systems Engineer to join our technical staff for the design, development, and support of track inspection and measurement systems.
- Design, build and install track inspection systems on railway vehicles, and provide support to calibrate, field test, troubleshoot, maintain and repair
- Support, enhance, and improve the electrical systems of track inspection equipment
- Circuit card design, lab testing of electronics, soldering and rework of prototype and production electronics, embedded firmware development, and test software development.
- Assemble, test, debug and repair of electronic circuit boards, cables, component chassis wiring, sensor assemblies and associated computer equipment.
- BS degree in Electrical Engineering
Job Related Experience:
Minimum Level: 1-3 years
Preferred Level: 3-5 years
- Required: None Required
- Preferred: None Required
- Basic lab and electronic test equipment, oscilloscopes, power supplies, signal testing, analog data acquisition and signal conditioning
- Basic assembly and rework stations, soldering, electrical and mechanical assembly
- Printed Circuit Board (PCB) design tools
- Circuit simulation tools
- Embedded software development for control or digital signal processing
- Experience using real-time data acquisition, analysis and presentation
- System research, design and analysis functions with minimal supervision
- Digital circuit design; CMOS logic, RS422 differential signals
- Have the responsibility, authority, and accountability to ensure timely delivery of systems, products and services that meet technical requirements
- Test and troubleshoot equipment and components using multi-meters, oscilloscopes, digital and analog function generators and other similar laboratory equipment
- Competently read and interpret wiring schematics, cable diagrams and assembly drawings
- Test, install, and service various assemblies including cameras, lasers, optics, data acquisition, electronics, mechatronics, and high-performance computing hardware and software.
- Understand and troubleshoot electro-mechanical systems, including system level assembly and repair, software and hardware functionality
- Install and configure local area network (LAN), wireless (Wi-Fi) systems and network switches.
- Install and configure application software and operating systems, including but not limited to: Windows 10, Linux
- Cable fabrication using coaxial, Cat5/6, and mil-spec connectors
- LabVIEW (including FPGA module), Python
Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Climb a ladder to gain access to railway freight cars, passenger cars, and locomotives
- Work in tight locations on, under, and around rail vehicles
- Proficiency with hand tools for assembly, installation, maintenance and repair of electrical and mechanical systems, and components.
- Integration of data from and troubleshooting of optical, laser and inertial sensors.
- Digital and analog data acquisition systems
- Track Geometry Engineer
- Metallurgical Engineer
-Sr. Track Geometry EngineerJob Description Work Conditions
Shift Work: No
Weekend Work: Yes
Travel Required: Up to 10%Company Overview
Norfolk Southern Corporation (NYSE: NSC) is a Fortune 300 organization and one of the nation's premier transportation companies. Its Norfolk Southern Railway Company subsidiary operates approximately 19,500 route miles in 22 states and the District of Columbia, serves every major container port in the eastern United States, and provides efficient connections to other rail carriers. Norfolk Southern is a major transporter of industrial products, including chemicals, agriculture, and metals and construction materials. In addition, the railroad operates the most extensive intermodal network in the East and is a principal carrier of coal, automobiles, and automotive parts.
At Norfolk Southern, we believe in celebrating our individuality. By leveraging the unique backgrounds and viewpoints of our employees, we can create a culture of innovation, respect, and inclusion. We know that employees thrive in a workplace where differing viewpoints, ideas, and experiences are freely shared and valued. As such, we encourage all employees to contribute their distinctive skills and capabilities to our organization.
Equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants regardless of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetic information, veteran status, sexual orientation, and gender identity. Together, we power progress.
Apply on company website