Requisition ID : 29859
Scope: Carmen's work shall consist of rail car inspection and maintenance in accordance with FRA and AAR Regulations. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to stand, walk long distances over uneven terrain and sit for extended periods of time; reach for tools and objects with hands and arms; climb in the back of vehicles; stoop, kneel, or crouch; in all types of weather conditions. The employee must occasionally lift up to 50 pounds and be able to demonstrate how to properly use basic mechanic tools. The employee must be able to demonstrate proper welding and cutting techniques indoors and outdoors.
- Ensure compliance with all railroad rules and regulations for safety and operations.
- Inspect car components for compliance with AAR and FRA standards.
- Obtain information from computer regarding car components, destination, lading, and repair records and/or to file data such as repair information, bad orders and car releases.
- Able to proficiently use cutting torch in all positions.
- Must qualify in SMAW and FCAW welding processes that include 2F, 3F and 4F positions.
- Operate forklifts, light cranes, and car moving equipment.
- Operate various vehicles, maybe required to obtain CDL for operation of Rewheel truck.
- Rerail cars and locomotives by using rerailing equipment and perform other work associated with wreck service on the railroad.
- Straighten, fabricate and replace steel parts such as: grab irons, handholds, ladders, ladder brackets, and sill steps.
- Repair, remove, or replace defective components such as wheels, safety appliances, truck and brake equipment, couplers, yokes, draft gears, and air brake valves; weld broken parts or secure new parts.
- Perform Class I brake test and Single car test in accordance with FRA Regulation 232.
- Inspect, measure, and secure lading in accordance with AAR open top rules.
- Perform other duties that may be assigned.
- Understand oral and written communication
- Problem solving and troubleshooting skills
- Time Management
- Soft computer skills
- Mechanical aptitude
Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or GED
- Mechanical experience
- Welding and fabrication experience
This position is full time, shift work consists of: Irregular hours, including nights, weekend, holidays and occasional overtime.
Travel required for training.
Norfolk Southern Corporation (NYSE: NSC) is a Fortune 300 organization and one of the nation's premier transportation companies. Its Norfolk Southern Railway Company subsidiary operates approximately 19,500 route miles in 22 states and the District of Columbia, serves every major container port in the eastern United States, and provides efficient connections to other rail carriers. Norfolk Southern is a major transporter of industrial products, including chemicals, agriculture, and metals and construction materials. In addition, the railroad operates the most extensive intermodal network in the East and is a principal carrier of coal, automobiles, and automotive parts.
At Norfolk Southern, we believe in celebrating our individuality. By leveraging the unique backgrounds and viewpoints of our employees, we can create a culture of innovation, respect, and inclusion. We know that employees thrive in a workplace where differing viewpoints, ideas, and experiences are freely shared and valued. As such, we encourage all employees to contribute their distinctive skills and capabilities to our organization.
Equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants regardless of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetic information, veteran status, sexual orientation, and gender identity. Together, we power progress.
On September 9, 2021, President Biden signed Executive Order 14042. This order and the associated federal safety protocols for federal contractors that were issued on September 24, 2021, require covered contractors who work with the federal government to ensure that their employees are fully vaccinated for COVID-19 or approved for a health or religious accommodation by January 18, 2022. As a covered federal contractor, Norfolk Southern must adhere to these legal requirements. If you are made a conditional job offer, you will be required to provide proof of full vaccination, or apply and be approved for a health or religious accommodation prior to your start date.
Apply on company website