Reports To Principal Salary Salary Schedule For Teachers Hired On Or After July 1, 2010 (starting at $47, 858 per year) Endorsements Social Studies 7-12, Middle Level Social Studies (Citizenship Ed) 6-9, Grades 4-8 Social Studies Qualifications A Bachelor's degree and Pennsylvania State Teaching Certification in required content area.
Must also obtain 24 additional education credits within six years of hire to obtain permanent certification.
Preferred qualities and attributes include:
- A commitment to accelerating student achievement.
- A desire to eliminate racial disparities.
- The ability to create a positive school and district culture.
- The willingness to foster and promote innovation.
- The ability to be a culturally-responsive educator who knows how to leverage students' unique skills, interests, and learning styles to create a learning experience that unequivocally includes and empowers each and every student.
- Demonstrated enthusiasm and energy in making a difference in the lives of students.
- Proven ability to empathize with students and prepare them to achieve academic excellence and strength of character so they have the opportunity to succeed in all aspects of life. Residency Requirements No Residency Requirement Essential Job Functions 1. Develop and submit lesson plans in the approved format to the Principal. Collaboration with other teachers is encouraged.
2. Implement rigorous curriculum content to students .
3. Adapt teaching methods and instructional materials to meet students' varying learning styles, needs and interest.
4. Ensure students are demonstrating knowledge and skills through projects and activities.
5. Manage a wide array of student needs and behaviors in the classroom and throughout the school.
6. Provides a safe environment for students.
7. Maintain accurate and complete records of student attendance and grades in a timely and confidential manner.
8. Develop and administer formal and informal student assessments in order to evaluate students' progress.
9. Collaborate with parents, staff, and outside professionals concerning students' progress.
10. Supervise students during fire drills.
11. Follow school procedures pertaining to duty assignments such as lunch, hall, recess, and homeroom.
12. Actively participate in team, faculty and parent meetings, workshops, in-service professional development, and other responsibilities as they arise.
13. Oversees and provides direction to paraprofessionals.
14. Monitors and attends extra-curricular events and social activities.
15. Develop and maintain constructive and cooperative working relationships with building and district staff.
16. Performs additional duties or responsibilities as assigned by the Principal. Additional Job Information HOW TO APPLY
To become a PPS teacher, you must first complete a "Standard: Certified" application in the District's online application system. (www.pps.k12.pa.us/careers) This application will be screened in order to determine if you will be placed on the eligible list. Pittsburgh Public Schools (PPS) is required by the Pennsylvania School Code to use an eligible list to determine which candidates can be considered for hire. For more information, please see the Eligible List FAQ on the district website.
A complete teacher application requires:
- An updated resume, reflective of your education and employment experience, including community involvement and leadership roles.
- Writing samples (responses to three brief essay prompts)
- References (submission and return of three electronic references)
- Selection of your certification type and content area
Step 1. Create an account and complete the online application. In addition to the above requirements, you will also have the opportunity to upload your Pennsylvania Praxis Exam scores, diplomas, transcripts, state-issued certificates, and additional attachments.
Step 2. Pittsburgh Public Schools will contact you if you are selected to move forward in the hiring process.
This position is primarily sedentary in nature. Employee will be required to operate computer system for data entry, and have the ability to complete necessary paperwork. This position requires minimum physical effort and not subjected to Occupational Health and Safety risks.
Employees of the Pittsburgh Public Schools engage in the extremely important and fulfilling job of educating students in the City of Pittsburgh. Employees must believe in, value and be committed to the educability of all; must promote the school and district vision of high standards of learning and academic rigor, continuous school improvement, and the inclusion of all members of the school community; must be willing to work in a high stress environment while maintaining the energy necessary to meet the responsibilities and expectations of the position. A sample of specific elements associated with the work environment of this position includes:
-Frequently required to work at fast pace
-Comfort with ambiguity
-Requires considerable concentration and creativity
-Able to adjust daily work plans and work hours to be highly responsive to school needs
-Subject to stress caused by a changing environment, diversity in the organization, tight deadlines and work load, but must be able to maintain work/life balance amidst intense work demands.
The employer will make reasonable accommodation in compliance with the American with Disabilities Act of 1990. This job description will be reviewed periodically as duties and responsibilities change with business necessity. Essential and marginal job functions are subject to modification.
The Pittsburgh Public Schools (PPS) does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability or age in its programs, activities, career and technical education programs or employment and provides equal access to the Boy Scouts and other designated youth groups. It is the policy of the Pittsburgh School District to make all services, programs and activities available and to provide reasonable accommodations to persons with disabilities. Please make requests for accommodations at least 72 hours before the scheduled event. For more information regarding accommodations, civil rights grievance procedures, please contact: Office of Employee Relations, 341 S. Bellefield Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15213 or 412-529-HELP (4357).
Apply on company website