Job ID: 7164
Reporting to the Operations Manager or designate, the Project Engineer provides support and assistance to ensure the smooth execution of assigned projects. Responsibilities are varied but include documentation and information management, record keeping, cost control, coordinating timely delivery of supplies and material, tracking project progress, maintaining project files, ensuring quality control and safety, trouble shooting and follow up. The Project Engineer will liaise with the Regional Office, customer, and other key stakeholders as related to the project. This is an entry level position intended to provide training for advancement to more senior level positions in the Company.
Primary/Essential Responsibilities and Duties
- Manages project activities to ensure they comply with company and contract requirements and support overall construction schedule.
- Supports the development, updating, and approval of construction schedules.
- Provides technical support for construction efforts including design interpretation, application of construction methods, resolution and documentation of design conflicts and constructability reviews.
- Performs duties related to site administration including management of project related information and documentation, maintenance of project file, review of completed time sheets, processing of invoices and bills of lading, tracking and reporting of production quantities and equipment used.
- Interfaces with all on-site departments to resolve problems and to ensure quality of construction, project safety, and adherence to project specifications, in support of overall project schedule.
- Supervises field layout and surveying activities.
- Responsible for monitoring and forecasting of project costs and revenues; assists with development of new methods to improve margins.
- Observes work flow, anticipates any potential schedule changes, and coordinates with superintendents on delivery of materials and staying on schedule.
- Reviews change order drawings and specifications; develops, tracks and negotiates proposals and change orders.
- Assists in preparation of bids, including assisting with take-offs, requests for pricing, project set up, quality control, design reviews and other related tasks.
- Develops, implements, and administers project procedures and other work controlling documents.
- Handles business correspondence, billing and financial reporting.
- Reviews, analyzes and resolves field construction problems and discrepancies.
- Advises the Project Manager of serious schedule conflicts and problems, and works with field supervision to resolve schedule conflicts.
- Analyzes permanent material requirements, solicits quotations and prepares formal purchase agreements.
Required Skills and Qualifications
- Knowledge of surveying, equipment applications and overall engineering is important.
- Ability to interpret a variety of technical instructions.
- Ability to read and comprehend plans and specifications and to comprehend and recognize safety standards and issues.
- Knowledge and understanding of general contract and subcontract documents.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and presentation skills.
- The ability to effectively interact with customers, vendors and employees.
- The ability to work independently and as part of a collaborative team.
- The ability to successfully execute decisions.
- The ability to grasp facts, processes, and procedures quickly in a rapidly changing environments.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite.
- Clean driving record and ability to travel as required.
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions
- Works outdoors at construction sites as well as indoors.
- Frequently stands, walks, climbs, balances, stoops, and crouches while negotiating work areas under construction.
- Sits, reads, writes and uses a computer keyboard.
- May be exposed to harsh weather conditions including very hot and very cold weather.
- May be exposed to loud noise.
- Travel to job sites is required.
- Work is in and around live track (trains).
- Work may be in urban, rural or isolated areas.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment with PNR RailWorks without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or any other characteristics protected by law.
Apply on company website