Inspire health. Serve with compassion. Be the difference.
Job SummaryConducts or supports laboratory testing to aid in diagnosis and treatment of disease. Ensures proficiency and accuracy in all aspects of laboratory testing. Follows established policies and procedures.
- Demonstrates proficiency, competency, and understanding of fundamental principles of clinical laboratory procedures and performs testing with precision and accuracy. Performs and reports test results for waived, moderate, and high complexity clinical laboratory procedures as assigned and as outlined in the standard operating procedure (SOP) manuals. Escalates discrepancies to appropriate individual. Operates computerized laboratory data systems/applications as assigned. Reviews pending work using established protocol. Assures proper retention of all specimens.20%
- Uses the correct policies and procedures in the collection, labelling, handling and processing of all specimens. Verifies identification of the patient, specimen, and results. Evaluates specimen integrity based on department standard operating procedures (SOPs). 10%
- Participates in Quality Control (QC) and Quality Management (QM) for area assigned. Evaluates QC results for acceptability and notifies the appropriate individual of unresolved issues. Performs lookback if required. Monitors supply/reagent inventory and uses laboratory resources efficiently. Documents receipt and opening of a supply. Monitors expiration dates of all supplies and follows established protocol.10%
- Effectively operates laboratory instrumentation. Identifies real and potential situations or detects equipment malfunctions. Investigates and resolves technical problems, consults the appropriate individual as needed. Troubleshoots the problem with appropriate individual or service representative and documents appropriately. Performs and documents maintenance and function/operational checks on instrumentation.10%
- Complies with Policies and Procedures of Prisma Health. Understands and complies with standards and conditions set forth by various governmental and accrediting agencies in assigned operational area. Performs competency assessments as assigned. Maintains a safe and clean working environment and responds immediately to safety violations. Supports Prisma Health system and campus financial, customer service, and quality initiatives in a positive and productive manner. (moved this sentence to #6) suggest removing first sentence, covered elsewhere.10%
- Employs good organizational talents and prioritizes tasks appropriately. Recognizes customer satisfaction issues and responds/escalates appropriately. Assumes responsibility for operation of the section in absence of supervisor/lead technologist. Instructs students, new team members, laboratory support staff, and hospital personnel in procedure, technique, and theory. May take part in the interview process of job applicants. Willingly performs and completes team assignments. Participates in work unit action plans and supports department-based goals and initiatives which contribute to the success of Prisma Health..10%
- Communicates effectively in person, by phone, and in writing. Maintains open communication with laboratory leaders, pathologists, and fellow team members. Communicates pertinent information including critical values to other members of the healthcare team and performs required documentation. Uses positive and professional interpersonal skills to educate/support laboratory customers.10%
- Promotes individual professional growth and development by meeting requirements for mandatory and non-mandatory continuing education; accesses training needs and participates in Continuing Education (CE) programs annually. 10%
- Completes all required 6 month and annual competencies in required time frame and participates in proficiency testing as assigned.10%
Associate degree in a laboratory science or medical technology.
MLT (ASCP) or MLT(ASCP)cm or MLT (AMT)
In Lieu Of
In Lieu of the education and experience requirements noted above, clinical Certified Laboratory Assistants (CLA) or Completion of a 50-week U.S. military medical laboratory training course as shown on the DD214 form qualify with certificate instead of Associate's degree (with MLT certification).
Required Certifications, Registrations, Licenses
MLT (ASCP) or MLT(ASCP)cm or MLT (AMT)
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
Basic computer skills
Knowledge of laboratory and office equipment (fax/copier) Proficient computer skills (word processing, spreadsheets, database)
Work ShiftEvening (United States of America)
Facility1510 Richland Hospital
Share your talent with us! Our vision is simple: to transform healthcare for the benefits of the communities we serve. The transformation of healthcare requires talented individuals in every role here at Prisma Health.
Apply on company website