Inspire health. Serve with compassion. Be the difference.
Job SummaryProvides screening, assessment, planning, problem resolution, resource management, counseling, and crisis intervention as they relate to the health care and discharge planning needs of the patient/family in the Emergency Department (ED). The Licensed Master Social Worker functions as a key member of the ED interdisciplinary team to provide emergency services within their scope of practice. The social worker provides specialized assessments and interventions for patients with acute behavioral health, medical, and psychosocial emergencies. Additionally tasked with providing social work/case management services for patients who are currently admitted inpatient after hours, nights, and weekends.
- Completes risk screenings for domestic violence, child abuse, neglect, elder abuse, sexual assault/abuse, institutional abuse, sex trafficking, and notifies applicable state and federal agencies. Completes psychosocial assessment of patient's prior functioning level, appropriateness and adequacy of support systems, reaction to illness, and ability to care for self. Identifies and refers patient/family to community resources when appropriate. Serves as a liaison between hospital, patient/family, Law Enforcement, Department of Social Services, and applicable community partners during evaluation and investigation.
- Assessment of the patient's behavioral health/substance abuse needs in collaboration with EM providers, psychiatrists, and EM interdisciplinary team by obtaining collateral information from a myriad of sources. Identifies and refers patients/family to community resources when appropriate. Refers and coordinates transfers to IP psychiatric hospitals/substance abuse treatment centers when indicated. Provides ongoing case management and support of this patient population and their family while pending discharge disposition.
- Coordinates and facilitates tele-psychiatry consults for appropriate patients.
- Serves as an extension of the community mental health centers by coordinating mental health pick up orders with our local probate judges when mental health centers are closed.
- Manages oversight and compliance of emergency psychiatric/chemical dependency hospitalization papers in accordance of state law. Assists Emergency Medicine Providers in the completion of Inability to Consent documentation by identifying the appropriate surrogate decision maker in compliance with the Adult Healthcare Consent Act.
- Coordinates referrals for post hospitalization services/needs: skilled and long term nursing facilities, assisted living, group homes, homeless shelters, new dialysis, home health, hospice, palliative care, durable medical equipment, infusion services, medication assistance, transportation needs, financial assistance, medical legal partnership, and other community program/services.
- Provides intensive case management services for ED high utilizes in conjunction with EM physicians and community partners. Collaborates with EM physicians in the development of care plans for this population. Advocates for patient, family empowerment, and independence to make autonomous health care decisions and access needed services within the health care system. Maintains close communication with community care providers while being conscious of throughput directives by utilizing comprehensive discharge planning.
This is a non-management job that will report to a supervisor, manager, director, or executive.
Master's Degree in Social Work
Currently licensed as a Licensed Master Social Worker (LMSW) or a Licensed Independent Social Worker (LISW) by the South Carolina Board of Social Work Examiners.
Other Required Skills and Experience
- One (1) year Social Work Experience preferred
- One (1) year experience in a healthcare setting preferred
- ACM, CCM, C-SWCM or ACSW certification preferred
Work ShiftDay (United States of America)
Facility1510 Richland Hospital
Department15109623 ER System Care Coordination
Share your talent with us! Our vision is simple: to transform healthcare for the benefits of the communities we serve. The transformation of healthcare requires talented individuals in every role here at Prisma Health.
Apply on company website