Sorter laborers work as quality control line workers by hard sorting recyclable materials and trash from the recycling stream. Sorters are responsible to ensure unacceptable materials are removed from recycling so that recyclable materials are acceptable for sale to mills or brokers. Sorter Laborers may be exposed to unpleasant odors and sights and weather elements. The hours and physical demand may vary by location.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Perform duties in a safe manner in compliance with all local, state, and federal regulations and company policies.
- Ensure proper PPE is utilized, as well as compliance with Lock Out Tag Out procedures are adhered to consistently.
- Inspect materials and sort items or materials into designated areas according to type, size, condition, color, or paper grade.
- Pull contaminants out of paper or off of floor.
- Perform cleaning duties related to plant equipment and general housekeeping.
- Report system problems immediately to management.
- Maintain a clean and orderly work area and surrounding area.
- Dump boxes and containers of material into designated area(s).
- Maintain an excellent attendance record and an excellent safety and work quality record.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge and Skills
- Ability to perform physical requirements of the job (prolonged physical exertions, including standing. reaching, bending, pushing, pulling, lifting, carrying and climbing).
- Exhibit the ability to distinguish between various recyclable materials.
- Self-starter, aggressive work ethic and ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Safety conscious.
- Must be flexible to work any shift and/or to adjust shift when necessary.
- Ability to work overtime, weekends, and/or holidays.
- Ability to work in various conditions with exposure to weather elements.
- Good verbal communication skills to be able to communicate effectively and professionally with other personnel and management.
- Ability to follow written and verbal instructions.
- Possess the ability to perform basic math calculations.
- Additional skills may be required to perform additional task(s) specific to work location, department or line of business.
- Legally eligible to work in the United States.
- Must successfully complete pre-employment testing.
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Must be able to read and speak the English language well enough to communicate, understand, and respond to questions, instructions, signs, signals, and safety training.
- Exposure to extreme weather conditions.
- Exposure to dust, noise, heat, cold, and fumes found in a shop environment.
- Exposure to residential and commercial waste and recycling.
- Exposure to equipment traffic.
This job description is intended to describe the general nature, complexity and level of work to be performed by employees assigned to this position, and is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and/or skills required. It does not prescribe or restrict the work that may be assigned. Furthermore, this does not establish a contract for employment and is subject to change at the discretion of the company.
Apply on company website