Route Supervisors are responsible for the management of a group of drivers to ensure safe services to customers. Supervisors oversee the performance of drivers with an emphasis on safety, customer service, and productivity. The hours and physical demand may vary by route or area.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Manage the daily activities and performance of route drivers.
- Train and direct employees to improve their overall performance.
- Dispatch daily assignments.
- Monitor and enforce quality and safety standards, and ensure all compliance goals are met or exceeded.
- Ensure completion of daily routes, and ensure that all productivity goals are met or exceeded.
- Maintain and check daily route sheets and route new customers.
- Run routes as necessary, (absences, vacations, vehicle break downs).
- Monitor and track employee attendance and all other required documentation relating to performance management.
- Perform and monitor driver observations and vehicle inspections.
- Monitor driver hours in accordance with DOT and Rumpke regulations.
- Maintain a positive work atmosphere by performing and communicating in a manner that promotes good relationships with employees, co-workers, and management.
- Plans, distributes, monitors, and follows-up daily route assignments to ensure customers are serviced per company standards and agreements.
- Monitors driver time and attendance, minimizing overtime and ensuring drivers do not exceed limits established by regulatory agencies (ie. 60 hour rule).
- Monitors productivity, service and safety targets for each route and driver.
- Ensures that drivers comply with regulatory agencies (ie, DOT physicals, drug tests, etc).
- Conducts investigations for accidents, injuries and property damage claims.
- Conducts employee observations to ensure safety and procedures are being followed.
- Other duties as assigned by management; may fill in during absence of other supervisors/office employees or drivers.
Knowledge and Skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Previous management experience.
- Waste industry experience.
- Computer skills; working knowledge of Windows applications, Microsoft applications, AS400, and Lotus Notes applications a plus.
- Proven customer service skills.
- Knowledge of area with the ability to read maps.
- Must be able to work independently, make decisions, and resolve problems.
- Must have knowledge of DOT/OSHA regulations.
- Ability to drive truck with manual transmission.
- Additional skills may be required to perform additional task(s) specific to work location, department or line of business.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Must have at least a valid Class B CDL.
- Must have a valid DOT Medical Card.
- Must not have any DUI's or OVI's within the last 5 years or 2 in any 10 year period.
- 2 years truck driving experience a plus.
- Must not have any license suspensions within the last 2 years.
- No more than 3 moving violations within the last 2 years.
- Must successfully complete pre-employment testing.
- Must be able to read and speak the English language.
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Must be able to work flexible schedules including weekends and holidays, and be available to address operational issues by phone at all times.
- Exposure to extreme weather conditions.
- Exposure to residential and commercial waste.
- Possible exposure to high traffic conditions while outside of the vehicle.
This job description is intended to describe the general nature, complexity and level of work to be performed by employees assigned to this position, and is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and/or skills required. It does not prescribe or restrict the work that may be assigned. Furthermore, this does not establish a contract for employment and is subject to change at the discretion of the company.
Licenses & Certifications
- Commercial Drivers Lic
Apply on company website