Sign-on Bonus Now Provided for This Position!**
A Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) performs routine clinical and clerical tasks under the direction of a physician or other health practitioner. Clinical duties may include taking and recording vital signs, medical histories, preparing patients for examination, drawing blood, processing prescription refills, and assists with minor procedures as directed by a physician or health practitioner. The CMA acts as a practice ambassador contributing to overall patient experience, safety, and privacy.
- Performs clinical tasks such as blood draws, EKGs, hearing and vision screens, urinalysis, injections, vaccinations, and medication administration, treatments and minor surgeries as needed
- Supports practice needs with clerical tasks such as check-in/check-out, answering phones, scheduling appointments, verifying insurance, collecting co-pays, preparing lab requests, copying, scanning, faxing, sorting and distributing mail
- Coordinates with insurance providers and handles pre-authorizations and certifications as necessary
- Prepares rooms, arranges instruments and equipment, and ensures a neat and sanitary environment
- Rooms patients, verifies patient information, confirms purpose of visit, obtains and records vitals and updates medical history
- Communicates with patients and other providers per the instruction of the overseeing physician or health practitioner
- Creates and maintains health record information, files and organizes as needed
- Other duties as assigned
- High School Diploma or GED required within one (1) year of hire. Candidates who do not possess a High School Diploma or GED equivalent at time of hire will be provided the opportunity to enroll in a GED/HSEA program as a condition of employment. New hires will be provided one (1) year from date of hire to successfully complete a GED program and obtain their HSEA. *
- Medical Assistant Certification required or the ability and willingness to obtain certification from one of the following recognized organizations within 60 days of hire: NHA, NCCT, AMT, AAMA, NCMA, AMCA, NAHP. Job title will reflect Medical Assistant and will convert to Certified Medical Assistant upon proof of certification.
- BLS Certification approved by AHA, required
- At least 1 year of relevant experience and/or training or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Demonstrates a clear understanding of the importance of patient satisfaction and safety
- Ability to take vital signs and perform a patient assessment
- Administration of medications as directed by physician or health practitioner
- Phlebotomy and EKG, preferred
- Proficient knowledge of medical terminology
- Strong written and oral communication skills essential
- Attention to accuracy and detail
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment
- Ability to multitask, prioritize and work under pressure
- Knowledge of electronic medical record (EMR) systems, preferred
- Bilingual in Spanish preferred
*RWJBarnabas Health is committed to our communities and the members we serve. RWJBH understands that in order to create strong, healthy, and sustainable communities, we have to re-engineer and transform current systems. Providing educational support and resources contributes to our overall social impact mission and community investment efforts.
*Hours are subject to change as business needs require. Evening pay shift differential available for any regularly scheduled hours, Monday Friday, after 5:00pm. Weekend pay shift differential available.
**Sign-on bonus only provided to external hires. Internal RWJBH employees do not qualify for this benefit.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Equal Opportunity Employer
RWJBarnabas Health is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Apply on company website