Monmouth Medical Center (MMC) is one of New Jersey's largest community teaching hospitals, where physicians and employees work as a team dedicated to academic and clinical excellence and comprehensive, compassionate patient care. As part of RWJ Barnabas Health, Monmouth Medical Center is a leader in designing unparalleled new ways for delivering health care.
For over 130 years, Monmouth Medical Center has been the leader in central New Jersey in providing the best in health care and the latest in medical technology to nearly 1 million residents that comprise its primary service area of Monmouth County, and portions of Ocean and Middlesex counties. Monmouth Medical Center is recognized as a Top Teaching Hospital by The Leapfrog Group, which is widely acknowledged and underscores the highest commitment to patient safety and quality. MMC is the only hospital in Monmouth and Ocean counties to receive an A Hospital Safety Score by The Leapfrog Group, the nation s leading experts on patient safety, for six consecutive rating periods. We continue to lead the system in HCAHPS scores, and are looked to as a model for best practice in patient satisfaction.
Summary of Job Function: The staffer in this position is responsible for providing lactation management services to expectant and new parents in an inpatient, outpatient and telehealth setting. These functions are performed in accordance with the hospital s vision, mission, philosophy, policies, procedures, and standards.
- Plans, teaches, and evaluates classes for expectant and new breastfeeding mothers using the most up to date information available.
- Creates a milieu that promotes learning for staff and patients.
- Conducts bedside lactation rounds during in hospital hours.
- Consults with mothers having breastfeeding issues or concerns via in-person outpatient care areas, phone consults, and/or telehealth platforms.
- Participates appropriately in communication and decision-making activities within the Women & Children s Division and in the outpatient setting.
- Selects appropriate breastfeeding related supplies for patient use and medical sales.
- Oversees ordering of breast pump and breastfeeding supplies for outpatient care area.
- Plans, teaches, and conducts in-service education for MMC Women & Children s Division.
- Plans, organizes, and delivers lactation management services to all breastfeeding patients, both in-patient and outpatient
- Possesses excellent oral and written communication skills, as well as effective verbal and nonverbal communication techniques, and good listening skills empathically communicating with patients/families and colleagues.
- Conducts quality assurance programs to monitor the caliber of the program.
- Oversees and assists patients in acquiring breast pumps based on insurance carriers.
- Follows the nursing process to deliver safe, compassionate, and culturally effective care.
- Consistently follows and implements evidence-based practices/procedures to provide and promote excellent patient outcomes.
- Evaluates and documents the care provided and interventions on each patient.
- Familiar with the Magnet designation and participates in ongoing designation activities.
- Carries out other duties as assigned.
- Graduate of an accredited School of Nursing.
- RN required, BSN or higher preferred.
- New Jersey Nursing Licensure
- IBCLC lactation certification required
- Neonatal Resuscitation (NRP) Certification
- Basic Life Support Certification
- Demonstrated ability to lead, organize, manage, and develop lactation programs and groups.
- Bilingual English/Spanish preferred
- 2 years previous experience in maternal-child health or NICU nursing required.
- 1 year of experience in-hospital lactation consulting preferred.
Ability to successfully assist mothers with breastfeeding skills.
Ability to work with several different patient care units and levels of care providers.
Ability to work independently in an outpatient care area.
Variable with on-call schedule responsibility.
We offer a great work environment, competitive rates and excellent benefits, including:
Vacation/Personal/Holiday/Sick Time Off
Short & Long Term Disability
Basic Life & Accidental Death Insurance
Health Care/Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts
Equal Employment Opportunity
RWJBarnabas Health is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Apply on company website