The Registered Nurse assists the physician, practice manager, and nurse practitioner in various aspects of medical treatment and testing in accordance with their practice act. RN maintains exam rooms and equipment and keeps an orderly flow of patients to be seen by the physicians. Functions include being part of the patient care team in efforts to achieve goals established for both
the individual patient and the clinical service. Is responsible for reporting identified safety issues such as hazardous environments (i.e. damaged floors/walls/ceiling tiles/unsecured areas) and medical errors.
- Administers immunizations, and injections as directed by physician.
- Assists physician in examination and treatment of patients and in all special procedures including minor surgery as required.
- Assists the physician with patients including preparing patients and the examination rooms, taking initial medical history for the chart, taking vital signs, making lab and x-ray appointments, and explaining the preparations to the patients and documenting same.
- Assists with the preparation of equipment and aids physician during treatment, examination, and testing of patients in accordance with nursing standards.
- Handles all prescription refills and call-ins to pharmacies and patients.
- Maintains and keeps examination rooms and treatment areas clean, including, washes and dries instruments used, and prepares sterilization as required. Keeps examination rooms properly stocked with supplies.
- Maintains lab log book and record of OSHA related logs.
- Maintains medical inventories according to established par levels; orders supplies, checks deliveries for accuracy; reconciles discrepancies; reviews bills for accuracy; submits bills to Practice Manager or Assistant Office Manager.
- Other duties may consist of notifying patients of lab results, administering injectable medications prescribed by the physician; in house lab work and specimen preparations for microscope.
- Performs laboratory and diagnostic procedures, i.e. venipunctures, urinalysis, glucose and hemoglobin assessments and preparation of lab specimens and forwards to appropriate lab for processing.
- Provides general nursing care to patients. Handles medical problems, treatments and diagnoses, and follows medical directions given by the physician.
- Provides scheduling or general problem issues to Practice Manager and operational issues to the Director of Operations.
- Receives and handles phone calls as directed by physician.
- Removes lab reports from printer and attaches to chart for MD to review.
- Removes sutures, cleans wounds and applies dressings as directed by physician.
- Responsible for interpretation and implementation of physician orders.
- Responsible for medical education needs of patients.
- Responsible for proper handling and storage of all medications stored in the office. Periodically checks expiration dates on inhouse medications and immunizations.
- Reviews scheduled patient s charts for all documents, obtain documents if absent.
- Updates abnormal pap recall system.
- BA/BS/BSN degree preferred.
- Must have New Jersey RN License; and BLS credentials.
- Minimum 1 year of RN experience.
- Additional experience may be required based upon specific practice needs.
- Bilingual a plus.
8 am to 5 pm, Monday through Friday
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Equal Opportunity Employer
RWJBarnabas Health is the most comprehensive health care delivery system in New Jersey, with a service area covering five million people. The system includes eleven acute care hospitals Clara Maass Medical Center in Belleville, Community Medical Center in Toms River, Jersey City Medical Center in Jersey City, Monmouth Medical Center in Long Branch, Monmouth Medical Center Southern Campus in Lakewood, Newark Beth Israel Medical Center in Newark, RWJUH- New Brunswick, RWJUH- Somerset in Somerville, RWJUH- Hamilton, RWJUH- Rahway and Saint Barnabas Medical Center in Livingston; three acute care children s hospitals and a leading pediatric rehabilitation hospital (Children s Specialized Hospital), a freestanding 100-bed behavioral health center, trauma centers, a satellite emergency department, ambulatory care centers, geriatric centers, the state s largest behavioral health network, comprehensive home care and hospice programs, fitness and wellness centers, retail pharmacy services, a medical group, multi-site imaging centers and an accountable care organization.
Barnabas Health Medical Group is a multispecialty group practice comprised of highly trained and experienced world class primary and specialty care physicians. Barnabas Health Medical Group physicians provide compassionate and innovative cutting-edge care for people at every stage of life at easily accessible facilities conveniently located throughout New Jersey. Backed by the vast continuum of resources of RWJBarnabas Health, the largest not-for-profit integrated health care delivery system in New Jersey and one of the largest in the nation, our dedicated physicians and expertly trained supporting staff continuously strive for clinical excellence.
We offer a great work environment, competitive rates and excellent benefits, including:
- Medical/Dental/Vision plans
- 401 (k)
- Short & Long Term Disability
- Basic Life & Accidental Death Insurance
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Health Care/Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts
Equal Opportunity Employer
Apply on company website