RWJBarnabas Health is the most comprehensive health care delivery system in New Jersey, with a service area covering five million people. The system includes eleven acute care hospitals Clara Maass Medical Center in Belleville, Community Medical Center in Toms River, Jersey City Medical Center in Jersey City, Monmouth Medical Center in Long Branch, Monmouth Medical Center Southern Campus in Lakewood, Newark Beth Israel Medical Center in Newark, RWJUH- New Brunswick, RWJUH- Somerset in Somerville, RWJUH- Hamilton, RWJUH- Rahway and Saint Barnabas Medical Center in Livingston; three acute care children s hospitals and a leading pediatric rehabilitation hospital (Children s Specialized Hospital), a freestanding 100-bed behavioral health center, trauma centers, a satellite emergency department, ambulatory care centers, geriatric centers, the state s largest behavioral health network, comprehensive home care and hospice programs, fitness and wellness centers, retail pharmacy services, a medical group, multi-site imaging centers and an accountable care organization. RWJBarnabas Health is New Jersey s largest private employer with more than 33,000 employees, 9,000 physicians and 1,000 residents and interns and routinely captures national awards for outstanding quality and safety.
Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences, combines eight schools to form the most influential constellation of academic institutions devoted to the education of the full complement of health care professionals. Top faculty teach our exciting programs at locations throughout the state. Courses of study range from A.S. undergraduate certificates to post-doctoral studies and joint degrees in medicine and pharmacy and medicine and law.
- New Jersey Medical School, the oldest medical school in the state, encompasses 22 basic science and clinical departments and hosts major centers and institutes devoted to such areas as global tuberculosis, public health, and neurology. University Hospital northern New Jersey's only Level 1 Trauma Center is the school's principal teaching hospital.
- Robert Wood Johnson Medical School is home to 20 basic science and clinical departments and houses major research institutes that focus on a range of subjects from cardiovascular medicine to women's health. Its principal teaching hospital, Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital, consistently ranks among New Jersey's top three hospitals.
RWJBH/Rutgers Neurosurgical Program is the amalgamation of the RWJBH Health System and the Rutgers Department of Neurosurgery creating the largest collection of neurosurgeon in the state, utilizing the latest technology to treat a wide range of nervous system disorders. The team performs a large number of brain and spine surgeries every year, correcting deformities, removing brain and spine tumors providing pain relief caused by neurological disease or trauma and endovascular treatments for stroke and cerebrovascular disease. The patients visiting any of the RWJBH/Rutgers facilities receive state-of-the-art treatments for brain, spine, and other delicate neurosurgical procedures. The RWJBH/Rutgers Department of Neurosurgery is designed to limit patient travel and ensure multiple centers of excellence or access clinics for niche specialty programs are available locally for the patients of New Jersey. The RWJBH/Rutgers neurosurgery teams are committed to providing their patients with cutting-edge treatments using our state-of-the-art technology and procedures to ensure that you are able to make your way towards a healthy future.
This role will report directly to the Professor and Chairman, Department of Neurosurgery for Rutgers who also serves as the Senior Vice President of Neurosurgical Services for RWJBarnabas Health as well as the Chief Operating Officer of the RWJBH Medical Group. The VP of Neurosurgery will be accountable for expanding neurosurgical services for the member institutions of RWJBarnabas Health, providing strategic oversight for the RWJBH/Rutgers Department of Neurosurgery faculty practices, and integrating the overall neurosurgical platform for RWJBH/Rutgers. This position will have offices within the Department of Neurosurgery locations at NJMS in Newark and RWJMS in New Brunswick.
For RWJBH, this leader will oversee the strategic planning process at the system and entity levels, ensuring that the plans create focus and are supported by the leadership team:
- Leads the targeted, strategic growth of Neurosurgery services across the system:
- Infrastructure: ensures that the system creates tools and processes to manage the Department s market strategy and priorities in an effective and efficient manner.
- Physician Practice: collaborates with health system leadership to ensure that the right practice(s) are engaged at the right time and place.
- Collaborates with system and entity leadership to establish network leadership, including designated dyads and steering groups as appropriate
- Oversees strategic & business planning processes
- Ensures that goals and scorecards align with service line priorities
- In collaboration with the SVP of Neurosurgery Services, the selected candidate will oversee strategic planning process for the Neurosurgery at each entity, ensuring that goals and scorecards create focus and alignment, and are widely supported by the leadership team.
- Prepares and implements, with input from physician partners and health system leadership, goals for clinical and service quality, customer satisfaction, physician alignment, and operational results, to support the strategic, quality and operating targets of the service line and system.
- Coordinates system wide, the strategy and planning for the neurosurgical related services, consistency of standards and developing integrated clinical protocols, educational programs, ad strategic growth strategies for the system.
- Strengthen relationships with referring physicians across the System to support a network of coordinated patient care and resolve operational issues that negatively impact care.
- Oversees the administrative component of physician contracting and recruitment in collaboration with the RWJBH Medical Group and Rutgers Medical School
For Rutgers, this leader will work with the Chairman of Neurosurgery to formulate and implement a framework of the objectives, goals, and policies for the Department of Neurosurgery in addition to ensuring the effectiveness of the current state operations of the faculty practices.
- Formulates and recommends to the Department Chair a strategy to ensure day-to-day and long-term policies, plans, and programs for the operation, improvement or expansion of all neurosurgical services not limited to but including hospital-based and outpatient services. Responsible for directing the implementation of plans, policies, and programs.
- Strategically monitors the operations of those clinical and administrative Neurosurgical Departments, within the scope of Rutgers Medical School and RWJBH.
- Establishes performance standards and evaluates the performance of the departmental management team as well as reviews the marginal and unsatisfactory evaluations of all personnel.
- Provides administrative oversight and support for hospital-based services of faculty members
- Prepares and submits through analyses and proposals regarding the performance, accomplishments, and needs of the professional and support services of the Department.
- Represents the Department of Neurosurgery to area leaders, health care committees, and influential groups at the local, state, and national level.
- Assists in providing the leadership that promotes Rutgers, the Department, and it s faculty members as an international thought leader in Neurosurgery
- Ensures compliance with the standards prescribed by accrediting agencies including but not limited to The Joint Commission, Medicaid, Medicare and the State of New Jersey Departments of Human Services and Health.
- Participates in state and national organizations in developing behavioral health care programs and policies.
Integrating RWJBH/Rutgers Department of Neurosurgery will remain a primary goal and objective of this position and must be coordinated with the Neurosurgical SVP/Chair and executive leadership for Rutgers Medical School, RWJBH Health, and RWJBH Medical Group. Development and implementation of an integrated strategy will require leadership in the following areas:
- Marketing and Branding
- Increased Website Activities/Second Opinion Service
- External Marketing Campaigns
- Annual Global Symposiums & Outreach CME Events
- Annual Report
- Care Coordination
- Increased Quality & Data Reporting Capabilities
- Operational Integration
- Identified Departmental Administrative Management Team
- Standardized Equipment/Imaging Capabilities
- Financial Integration: MSO services that provides one support structure for revenue cycle, managed care contracting, financial and management reporting, recruitment services, marketing/communication support, patient access services.
- Patient Centeredness
- Patient Liaison
- Centralized Call Center
- Improved Telehealth Capabilities
- Concierge consult service available globally with rapid access and turnaround
- Clinical Manpower
- Recruitment of +18 Neurosurgical FTEs
- Incremental APPs, RNs, and clinical staff members as practices expand
This position requires an executive with strong strategic, clinical, operational and administrative experience who can form a strategic relationships and navigate a large matrixed healthcare system. Candidates will need to possess the following professional and personal attributes in order to successfully execute the roles and responsibilities of this position:
- Visionary leader who can foster adoption of strategy through collaboration, charisma, and sense of leadership.
- Deep knowledge and understanding of hospital operations and financial management principles.
- Evidence of the leadership, business acumen, management, and financial planning.
- Ability to plan and delegate assignments, review work, and supervise.
- Minimum formal education of Master degree or equivalent experience
- Minimum of 10 years or more as a Hospital and or Academic Medical Center Executive
- Preferred candidates will have experience in successfully developing and leading a system-wide service line for a medium to large health system and/or medium to large Academic Medical Centers.
- Experience in working within a Medical School departmental structure.
- Proven success and deep experience in developing and executing specific, measurable business plans that have clear financial accountability and obtaining successful, effective results and leading teams to plan and execute specific business development activities across a targeted geography.
- Understands the complex regulated and competitive environment of healthcare systems; proven success in a highly complex, multi-site environment.
- Demonstrates a history of identifying key priorities and problems, obtaining relevant information, identifying root causes and generating alternative solutions to reach sound management decisions.
- Has a solid understanding of health care dynamics to advance branding and marketing principles.
- Provides vision, leadership, organization, and creativity to the direction of a Department.
- Possesses the financial capacity to monitor the margin, cost, and revenue within Neurosurgical services as well as the ability to develop and manage mutually approved budgets for Neurosurgery related capital across the system.
- Fosters collaborative growth and development through the implementation and on-going management of an in-depth portfolio of strategic initiatives.
- Supports the day to day financial and operational performance of the Department.
- Develops new clinical programs and the establishment of the Department s strategy and goals.
- Manages administrative and operational reporting relationships to enforce policies while assuring adherence to system and hospital guidelines.
- Facilitates coordination and partnership in achieving goals with all levels of an organization.
- Supports the assessment of new technologies and innovative approaches to care delivery, assuring patient access to leading edge treatment.
- Provides financial and operations guidance on equipment and supply selection.
- Experience in supporting the development of risk based payment models.
- Ensures that appropriate resources and/or materials are available to support development of strategy.
- Monitors and effectively communicates key performance metrics.
- Understands compliance regulations of all internal and external regulatory agency requirements.
- Identifies and acts on growth opportunities, product development and competitors and collaborates with executive leadership and other stakeholders to advance such opportunities.
- Supports and monitors quality outcomes through use of the balanced scorecard, identifying opportunities for implementation of clinical standards through the use of established, evidence based practices, for value based care delivery across the service line.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
We offer a great work environment, competitive rates and excellent benefits, including:
Vacation/Personal/Holiday/Sick Time Off
Short & Long Term Disability
Basic Life & Accidental Death Insurance
Health Care/Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts
RWJBarnabas Health is the most comprehensive health care delivery system in New Jersey and the state s second largest private employer with more than 32,000 employees, 9,000 physicians and 1,000 residents and interns. The system includes eleven acute care hospitals, three acute care children s hospitals and a leading pediatric rehabilitation hospital (Children s Specialized Hospital).
RWJBarnabas Health is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Apply on company website