Job ID: 2020-83065-USTXHOUSTON
The Manager - Continuous Improvement supports the development of the Ryder Continuous Improvement culture across the Business Unit/Vertical by actively promoting and facilitating the use of continuous improvement methods to support new business and existing operations. They will drive change through focused CI efforts to higher levels of performance in safety, quality, performance, cost and growth each and every day. Effectively utilizing lean and engineering methodologies, tools, root cause analysis and waste reduction with a bias for action, this high influence position will interface with employee at all levels and various functions / departments across the business and within a facility.
This position supports assigned VP of Operations (Business Unit/Vertical) and reports to the CI Director. This individual must possess a willingness and desire to work directly with his/her peers and their direct reports in the business units to define and set a strategy for engineering efforts and continuous improvement activities for new and existing operations.
NOT an Operations position - MUST have Industrial Engineering experience.
- Industrial Engineer (8-10 years of warehouse experience)
- Start-up experience from solutions through implementation (5-7 years) - warehouse design, layout, slotting, racking, warehouse management, labor management, WMS
- Leadership experience
- Lean experience (preferred but not required)
- Hazmat experience (strongly preferred)
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Business, Supply Chain Bachelors Degree or minimum of 10 years relevant work experience
- Master's degree in Supply Chain Management or Industrial Engineering preferred
- Ten (10) years or more experience in the Distribution, Warehousing and/or Manufacturing, Transportation, Supply Chain Logistics industry
- Ten (10) years or more experience in the Distribution, Warehousing, Transportation, Supply Chain Logistics industry preferred
- Lean: Proficiency with: Creating Cell Designs, Managing Material Flow, Design Plan for Every Part Systems (PFEP), Setting up/operation of Kanban, Supermarket Systems Pull Systems, Lean Mfg Systems, Developing and most important managing to: Leader Standard Work, Visual Management Systems and Management Accountability Systems, Plan-Do-Check-Act (PDCA)
- Warehouse Engineering: Mastery with: Product Slotting, Distribution Center MHE, Studying Labor Standards (time studies), Distribution Layouts and optimization of flow, Warehouse Metrics, Headcount rationalization and forecasting, Data Profiling, Working with ambiguous data sets and customer requirements to develop a Supply Chain Solution, WMS Functionality and Processes required to implement engineering designs/solutions/proposals Aptitude to learn a new business and systems
- Effective interpersonal skills, Builds and manages effective teams, System and change implementation skills, Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to create and maintain professional relationships within all levels of the organization (peers, work groups, customers, supervisors), Ability to work independently and as a member of a team, Flexibility to operate and self-driven to excel in a fast-paced environment, Capable of multi-tasking, highly organized, with excellent time management skills
- MS Office, MS Project and/or Transportation/Warehouse Management Systems (TMS and WMS) and Network analysis tools, MS Visio, Statistical and/or Transportation Analysis Tools (Minitab, SAS, Matlab, i2, Tmod, ILPS), Mapping analysis tools and/or Simulations and inventory/Network Design tools Mapping analysis tools (advanced level) preferred
- Transportation Design: Extensive knowledge of Dedicated Services and Managed Transportation Networks. Required knowledge of all available equipment types such as; dry van, temperature control, flat bed, other specialized equipment. Transportation Design Tools ie; JDA, Appian, Network Design Tools ie; Llamasoft, Transportation Management Systems ie; JDA, OTM, Mapping Software ie; Tableau (expert level)
- Lean, TPS, QMS preferred
- American Production Inventory Control Society (APICS) and/or Supply Chain Logistics Certification preferred
- Effective facilitation and execution of Value Stream Maps & Kaizen Events through all stages (A3 charter ideation / creation, pre-work identification and completion, delivery of results in Kaizen week, regular follow up and follow through on sustainment). Independently identifies process gaps, recommends and implements process improvement. Management of the lean transformational activities and projects at one large customer account or multiple customer accounts, directing the assessment, development, launch and continuous improvement activities related to specific business and day-to-day frontline associate interface and implementation of lean at the site
- Provide formal and informal training, coaching, mentoring to Ryder associates: must be able to translate Business System concepts to local situations and help individuals and teams progress in understanding and correct application for sustainable business improvements. Assisting and/or leading the execution of Lean Assessments. Coach process owners how to use engineering and Lean methods to achieve operational excellence. Support business start-ups, retrofits and expansions including pricing inputs, go-live and steady state certifications. Oversee all functions related to quality assurance and processes for a start-up or expansion
- Supervise a team of continuous improvement engineering professionals, make employment decisions (hire, promote, coach, development) and performance management. Manages multiple and complex Supply Chain projects. Regularly interacts with Senior Management and/or customer
- Lead the development and execution of strategy blueprinting, scorecarding and key performance indicator action plans. Establishes and implements performance measures. Provide regular reports of data and actions to measure progress against the site objectives. Work with site leadership to conduct assessments of critical site and business needs. Actively partnering with process owners to ensure results delivered / future state achieved and ability to connect the dots in the Operations function and ensure business priorities come first. Establish agenda and frequency and lead the regular Management Review meetings. Develop a thorough effective and timely continuous improvement plan to address the top business needs at Ryder sites (transformation plan development and execution). Drive process improvement activities to achieve dramatic improvement in the key business metrics of safety, quality, delivery, cost, and employee development
- Develop advanced competency in wide range of engineering methods, Lean tools, and quality standards and coaches employees in the use and implementation of CI, Quality Assurance, & Lean principles. Applies company methodologies and tools and engineering methodologies/tools such as product slotting, studying labor standards (time studies), layouts and optimization of flow, data profiling and analysis, and resource modeling to improve distribution and/or transportation operations. Provide regular reports of data and actions to measure progress against the site objectives. Makes Inventory and/or Supply Chain strategy recommendations
- Serve as the business owner, establish and regulate the standards for Quality Management Systems based on company and/or industry standards. Oversee internal auditing to ensure regulatory compliance and certification. Facilitate regular Performance Reviews with operations leadership and monitor metrics. Develop/implement strategy to manage scope and meet customer expectations. Manage the design, implementation, monitoring and maintenance of the QMS based on established company and/or industry standards. Implement and monitor a standardized corrective action system Support regulatory compliance and certification requirements
- Performs other duties as assigned
Ryder is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and Drug Free workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Apply on company website