Grounds Manager – Full-time position available at Saint Vincent College.
Saint Vincent College seeks applications for a Grounds Manager in the Facilities Maintenance Office. This is a full-time position. The Grounds Manager position is a working position. The Grounds Manager has overall responsibility for the maintenance and care of all campus grounds, athletic and recreational fields, sidewalks, roads, parking lots, trails, storm sewer systems and other related areas to provide a clean, safe, attractive campus. Must have ability to establish priorities of work to be performed, supervise those assigned and work independently.
Ability to work with a diverse group including Archabbot, Prior, Faculty, facilities and custodial staff, students, contractors and vendors.
Education: Advanced Certification in Turfgrass Management required. Associates Degree in Landscaping or Turfgrass Management preferred.
Qualifications and Experience:
- 3 to 5 years supervisory experience in institutional grounds maintenance. Experience with athletic field turf management desired.
- Ability to earn pesticide applicator license within six months of hire.
- Must possess a valid driver's license.
- Ability to read and write English language. Good communication skills both written and oral.
- Must be available for on-call work during nights and weekends.
- Strong customer service focus.
- Assess maintenance needs and recommend appropriate actions including long range planning and budgeting.
- Prioritize, plan and schedule grounds maintenance operations. Including developing schedules to minimize overtime of supervised employees.
- Prepare, receive, organize, schedule work utilizing the work order system.
- Establish and enforce schedules for maintenance and repair of grounds equipment, vehicles and tools.
- Select and purchase equipment, parts, materials required for grounds maintenance including seed, fertilizer, equipment, repair parts, salt, ice melt products, chemical.
- Ensure grounds maintenance operates within budget in those areas for which responsible.
- Responsible for safe working conditions and work procedures of staff.Understand and direct how to follow safety precautions and procedures both verbal and written.
- Manage safe use, storage and disposal of pesticides, fertilizers, insecticides, herbicides and other chemicals used by supervised employees.
- Arrange continuing appropriate training for self and supervised employees.
- As a working manager, perform maintenance functions as necessary and inspect work of supervised employees. Able to operate grounds equipment, power tools, chainsaws, man lifts, etc. as necessary.
- Administer and assure compliance with pest management best practices.
- Responsible for turf maintenance including seeding, fertilizing, mowing, trimming, irrigation.
- Responsible for snow and ice removal from roads, sidewalks, parking lots, stairs. Remove leaves, fallen branches, other weather-related debris.
- Responsible for care of flower and shrubs to include weeding, mulching, planting and pruning.
- Coordinate with athletic department to prepare for field sports events. Includes lining of outside playing fields, grooming fields, setup for athletic events. Maintain fields to standards established by NCAA Division III requirements and PAC President's Athletic Conference.
- Minor repairs of roads, parking lots, curbs, sidewalks to include seal coating and line striping. Maintain and install signage and banners on campus.
- Maintain tennis courts and associated items.
- Maintain and groom artificial turf fields.
- Maintain athletic fields fencing.
- Provide support for Steeler training camp including installing security fencing, deliver tables and chairs, built temporary tent flooring.
- Moving campus furniture as requested including to and from storage.
- Receive, unload and deliver items to various campus buildings.
- Set up and cleanup support for events, deliver tables, chairs, etc. to rooms, fields and other locations.
- Responsible for trash removal from all campus grounds. Includes hauling trash to dumpsters, litter pickup, recycling to ensure a clean attractive campus appearance.
- Coordinate with Pittsburgh Steelers grounds and field maintenance staff.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Contact and oversee outside contractors or vendors performing work on campus grounds such as snow removal during major snowfall events.
- Must be available for working on weekends and evenings as required for athletic and all other events on campus.
- Work with other FMO staff as required for large events.
Special Challenges and Environment:
- Must have physical ability to occasionally lift heavy objects. Work involves considerable physical activity including, lifting, pulling, pushing objects weighing up to 50 pounds. Must have the ability to walk, stand, climb, bend for extended periods of time.
- Work involves exposure to hot and cold weather conditions. Exposure to dirt, dust, noise, fumes, odors.
- Able to climb ladders, work from heights, work from man lifts.
- Environment may include some exposure to hazards, such as chemicals, and physical risks that are mitigated by and require following safety rules and precautions, utilizing appropriate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
- Ability to read and understand Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS).
Apply on company website