Company: South Carolina Department of Corrections
Location: berkeley, SC
Career Level: Entry Level
Industries: Government, Nonprofit, Education
Provides security, custody and control of inmates in a correctional setting. Duties include:
- Maintain control in inmate dorms, cafeteria, work sites and surrounding areas.
- Instruct and direct inmates assigned to various work details.
- Maintain and report inmate count and daily logs; prepare and submit miscellaneous reports.
- Maintain surveillance and search for contraband.
- Maintain and inspect building for cleanliness and sanitation; requisition and direct issuance of supplies, tools and equipment; maintain inventory of equipment.
- Escort visitors and civilian employees through assigned facility.
- Ensure that inmates receive prescribed treatment including medical and behavioral prescriptions.
- Control gate tower or other special post.
- Make prescribed security inspections and searches of specified buildings, building contents, grounds, vehicles and people and take necessary action.
- Maintain and operate security devices in a security setting, such as gates and doors, weapons and mechanical devices.
- Instruct and counsel officers concerning duty requirements.
- Investigate inmate/resident complaints and take appropriate action.
- Serve as backup for any dorm/building dispute requiring assistance and crisis intervention; make reports to appropriate personnel.
- U.S. Citizen.
- 21 and over.
- High school diploma or GED.
- Valid drivers license.
Must pass a physical exam administered by SCDC.
Must successfully complete the Correctional Officer Basic Certification Course within first six months of placement into the position.
Additional Comments Base Pay adjustments and Institution Incentives
Level I Institutions
Goodman, Livesay, Manning, Palmer
$32,908 Level II Institutions Allendale CI, Camille Graham CI, Evans CI, Kershaw CI, Leath CI, MacDougall CI,
Ridgeland CI, Trenton CI, Turbeville CI, Tyger River CI, Wateree River CI Start at $34,205 After 6 months $35,345
Level III Institutions
Broad River CI, Kirkland CI, Lee CI, Lieber CI, McCormick CI, Perry CI
Start at $36,241
After 6 months $37,381
Apply on company website