Under the direction of the manager, the Case Management Extender (CME) serves in a collaborative role to the Case Manager, by organizing and arranging services required by the Interdisciplinary Plan of Care related to treatments, living arrangements, clinical services, financial assistance and social services. The CME serves as an information conduit between SRHS and external agencies, facilities, and customers. The CME must be able to prioritize, multi-task and perform work with a high degree of accuracy to achieve timely and efficient management of patient care and regulatory requirements.
- Associate Degree
- 3 years: healthcare, financial services, care coordination and/or utilization management experience, Certified Medical Assistant, LPN or bachelor's degree with no post degree experience
- Associate degree
- 3-5 years
Core Job Responsibilities
- Complies with established policies and procedures
- Complies with regulatory requirements of discharge planning and utilization management
- Assist with the implementation function of the plan of care as developed by the case manager to provide effective communication and timely services
- Assist the case manager in the management of the patient discharge planning process across the continuum of care
- Seeks case manager clarification and communicates with professional staff on the plan of care and continued stay. The CME will proactively communicate with the case manager to identify expected discharges, facilitate transfers, discharges to post-acute providers and discharge planning needs as well as delivery of the Important Medicare message
- Must be self-directed to refer difficult placements or placements with no bed offers to the case manager; CME will ensure information is updated and resent to avoid delays
- Serves as an information conduit between SRHS and external agencies/facilities, providers and payors ensuring information is communicated to the next venue of care.
- CME works to ensure discharge summaries are sent post discharge. Elevates any outstanding discharge summaries to the case manager and department manager
- Responsible to run the Important Message report to identify, review and manage delivery needs of the second Important Medicare Message.
- In collaboration with the Case Manager delivers the second important Medicare message. May deliver the initial Important Message if it has not been delivered. Documents delivery of notice in the medical record.
- In collaboration with the Case Manager, delivers the Medicare Outpatient Observation Notice (MOON) as needed. Documents delivery of notice in the medical record
- Updates knowledge by participating in educational opportunities and attending staff meetings
- Documents clearly and concisely all contacts and information of the patient's case management process in the medical record
- In case of an appeal, assists the case manager and/or Office Manager in copying of the medical record and printing of electronic information from the medical record.
- Other duties as assigned
Additional InformationSpartanburg Regional is an integrated healthcare system that provides care from birth to hospice. As a a partner with the community for 90 years, we have earned a reputation for technological excellence. With more than 5,600 employees, Spartanburg Regional prides itself in being one of the most recognized healthcare facilities in Upstate South Carolina. A long list of accolades and accomplishments keep our employees proud. We believe the pride and quality in our organization is the result of a focused effort of our staff and resources.
Apply on company website