The lactation consultant promotes breastfeeding within the institution and community by development, coordination and evaluation of breastfeeding care to meet the needs of families, staff and physicians. LC's assist inpatients and outpatients on routine basis as needed. Offers breastfeeding classes and support group facilitation for the community.
- Minimum two years of college
- Graduate from an accredited nursing school
- Registered Nurse
- Three years healthcare experience
- IBCLC within one year of hire
Core Job Responsibilities
- Obtain and document appropriate history of the breastfeeding mother and infant by collecting objective and subjective data.
- Plan and evaluate care based on identified concerns or problems.
- Implement plan of care using appropriate procedures, techniques, equipment and instructions
- Evaluate, modify and document planned interventions as needed to effect positive outcomes for breastfeeding mother and infant
- Communicate and collaborate with other health care professionals involved in care of client.
- Provide mechanism for follow-up care and referral to community services and support groups as needed.
- Provide education to parents and families to encourage informed decision making about infant and child feeding.
- Provide anticipatory teaching in breastfeeding classes to promote ideal breastfeeding practices.
- Maintain loaner and rental breast pump program and counsel clients regarding their use, as well as use of various other breastfeeding devices.
- Communicates with Women's Services Breastfeeding Committee as requested or necessary
- Develop and maintain materials for breastfeeding classes, programs, support groups and special events
- Maintain and expand knowledge/ skills for lactation consultant and Baby Friendly practice by participating in continuing education.
- Other Duties As Assigned
Additional InformationSpartanburg Regional is an integrated healthcare system that provides care from birth to hospice. As a a partner with the community for 90 years, we have earned a reputation for technological excellence. With more than 5,600 employees, Spartanburg Regional prides itself in being one of the most recognized healthcare facilities in Upstate South Carolina. A long list of accolades and accomplishments keep our employees proud. We believe the pride and quality in our organization is the result of a focused effort of our staff and resources.
Apply on company website