Under general supervision, the Registered Nurse demonstrates thorough knowledge of therapeutic patient care, patient advocacy, clinical pathways/care maps, team dynamics, hospital systems, and serves as a resource for the registered nurse and support staff. Collaborates with leadership in developing and implementing the Spartanburg Medical Center culture, Vision, Mission and goals.
It is the premise of the Professional Practice Program that each of the key responsibilities builds on the preceding requirements.
5 North is a 23-bed stepdown telemetry unit that specializes in vascular surgery, telemetry and stroke. 5 North is part of the Cardiovascular Division at SMC.
Staffing is comprised of RNs, PCAs (patient care associates) and UAs (unit ambassadors). In addition to regular staffing, 5 North has a free Charge Nurse and Admission Discharge Nurse that are available to help with a variety of things. This team believes that teamwork is essential to providing excellent patient care. Here you will find a warm group of professional, willing and clinically proficient individuals to assist you in adapting to your potential role as a registered nurse. 5 North cares for a variety of patients with telemetry needs, providing an environment conducive to extensive learning and skill development.
Nurse to patient ratio on 5 North is 1:4.
Some of 5 North's vascular surgeries include aortic aneurysm repair, carotid endarterectomy, femoral bypass surgeries and amputations. 5 North is the secondary stroke unit at SMC and all the nurses on 5N are NIHSS certified, which we help you obtain during your orientation period. All the beds on 5N are monitored beds. You will be exposed to many types of patients on 5N aiding in your ability to provide great care to anyone that chose Spartanburg Medical Center to meet their healthcare needs.
- Graduate of an accredited school of nursing.
- New Graduate to Veteran Nurse
- Current RN licensure in the State of South Carolina or Compact State
- BLS, ACLS
- Preferred experience includes a background in one or more of the following: Cath lab, cardiac, telemetry, critical care, operating room, interventional radiology, ER, med/surg.
Core Job Responsibilities
- Successfully completes hospital and unit based orientation programs
- Demonstrates knowledge of professional nursing practice and theory.
- Responsible for demonstrating competency for all new equipment and procedures.
- Assesses assigned patients' medical history, admitting diagnosis and physician's orders, obtaining nursing history, performing physical assessment, evaluating diagnostic data, and interviewing patient and family to determine patient needs
- Prioritizes nursing interventions for an assigned group of patients
- Assures continuity of care through effective decision making resulting in quality patient care
- Documents all aspects of patient care by following established charting procedure to show the patient's progress or any change in the patient's condition
- Identifies appropriate evidence-based standards of care, and/or collaborative clinical pathways to guide the plan of care
- Collaborates with patients, families, and other members of the health care team to determine patient priorities and treatments
- Initiates and facilitates interdisciplinary collaboration to enhance outcome
- Seeks necessary assistance in completing nursing interventions to assure positive patient outcomes
- Participates in hourly rounding, bedside shift report, and Care Board information
- Ensures compliance with all clinical expectations regarding regulatory requirements.
- Provides clinical guidance to students and ancillary staff
- Complies with established policies and procedures
- Identifies the need to develop or revise policies and procedures pertaining to specialized patient populations and/or unit and hospital based practices
- Formulates a plan for professional growth
- Serves on unit based committees
- Other Duties as assigned
Additional InformationSpartanburg Regional is an integrated healthcare system that provides care from birth to hospice. As a a partner with the community for 90 years, we have earned a reputation for technological excellence. With more than 5,600 employees, Spartanburg Regional prides itself in being one of the most recognized healthcare facilities in Upstate South Carolina. A long list of accolades and accomplishments keep our employees proud. We believe the pride and quality in our organization is the result of a focused effort of our staff and resources.
Apply on company website