The Registered Respiratory Therapist under the guidance of the Department Director/Manager, and Medical Director utilizes knowledge and skill at the advanced level to provide direct age specific and culturally appropriate patient care through provision of adequate ventilation and oxygenation by use of medical gases and breathing equipment. Administers respiratory medications and performs invasive procedures, such as arterial blood sampling punctures, endotracheal intubation/extubation, tracheostomy care and other procedures as outlined on the competency grid form. Assists as a clinical resource and participates in patient and staff education.
- Associate Degree graduate of specialized training in an approved Respiratory Therapy 2 year program or meets minimum requirements to qualify to take and pass the NBRC RRT examinations
- Successful completion of new hire orientation within probationary period.
- Must successfully complete annual Respiratory Care Hospital required competency assessment.
- Prefer 1-2 years of experience in the specialty area (Ex. Adult critical care, Neonatal/Pediatrics area)
- Must be Registered by the National Board for Respiratory Care with RRT credential
- Must have current South Carolina Respiratory Care Practitioner (RCP) License
- Must have and maintain current Basic Life Support (BLS) certification as a minimum
- Adult critical care requires ACLS and PALS
- NICU/Pediatrics area requires NRP and PALS certifications; STABLE certification is preferred
- Associate of Science degree in Respiratory Therapy or a Bachelors in Respiratory Therapy
- 1-2 Years of critical care experience including performing emergency and elective airway procedures
- Specialized training and 1-year experience in Pulmonary Functions and cardiac testing if applicable
- Current certification in BLS, ACLS and PALS in adult critical care
- Current certification in BLS, PALS and NRP for Neonatal/Pediatric specialty areas
- All areas require SC Respiratory Care Practitioner License; NBRC Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT) credential
Core Job Responsibilities
- Performs and documents detailed age specific respiratory assessment including heart rate, breath sounds, respiratory rate and sputum characteristics, and notifies the physician as appropriate any identified abnormalities.
- Checks EMR to verify physician orders for new/current and/or changes in orders on all assigned patients by reviewing medication list throughout the shift.
- Recommends therapy modifications to ensure appropriateness of care using medical director approved oxygen and aerosol protocols.
- Initiates mechanical invasive and non-invasive ventilation per physician order; performs ventilator bundles on all ventilated patients.
- Performs arterial sampling draws and moderate complexity lab testing to include blood gases, Hemoglobin, and basic electrolytes per policy and procedure. Also responsible for verifying panic values by policy.
- Responds to all assigned designated medical alerts, establishes and maintains the airway.
- Assists the physician with bronchoscopy procedure as requested.
- Documents all assessments and procedures in EMR.
- Ensures that appropriate critical path/standard of care/plan of care is identified and collaboratively implemented.
- Other Duties as Assigned
Additional InformationSpartanburg Regional is an integrated healthcare system that provides care from birth to hospice. As a a partner with the community for 90 years, we have earned a reputation for technological excellence. With more than 5,600 employees, Spartanburg Regional prides itself in being one of the most recognized healthcare facilities in Upstate South Carolina. A long list of accolades and accomplishments keep our employees proud. We believe the pride and quality in our organization is the result of a focused effort of our staff and resources.
Apply on company website