DescriptionSHIFT: Days (rotating weekends)
St. David's Georgetown Hospital, which is part of St. David's HealthCare, is a 114-bed facility offering a range of services, including a 24-hour emergency department with a level IV trauma center; Certified Primary Stroke Center; inpatient and outpatient surgery; advanced pulmonary intervention; critical care capabilities; acute inpatient and outpatient rehabilitation; orthopedics and joint replacement; and maternity and newborn services with mother-baby couplet care close to home for Georgetown families. St. David's Georgetown Hospital has been a community healthcare resource in Williamson County for the past 70 years. The hospital opened its current location in 1979, and it is the only hospital in Georgetown. In 2019, St. David's Georgetown Hospital was named among the nation's 100 Top Hospitals by IBM Watson Health (formerly known as Truven) in conjunction with its parent campus, St. David's Medical Center, which made the list for the tenth consecutive year. The 100 Top Hospitals study spotlights the top-performing hospitals in the U.S. based on a balanced scorecard of publicly available clinical, operational, and patient satisfaction metrics and data. Additionally, the facility was honored with an “A” for patient safety by The Leapfrog Group, an independent nonprofit that rates facilities on how well they protect patients from accidents, errors, injuries and infections. St. David's HealthCare, which includes St. David's Georgetown Hospital, was the only hospital system in Central Texas to receive the top rating at all eligible facilities.
We offer you an excellent total compensation package, including competitive salary, excellent benefit package and growth opportunities. We believe in our team and your ability to do excellent work with us. Your benefits include 401k, PTO medical, dental, flex spending, life, disability, tuition reimbursement, employee discount program, employee stock purchase program and student loan repayment. We would love to talk to you about this fantastic opportunity.
Under the supervision of a technical or general supervisor, performs laboratory testing and related documentation functions accurately and in a timely manner to provide information for provision of patient care. Responsible for competently performing moderate and high complexity testing in the areas of Hematology, Chemistry, Coagulation, Microbiology, Blood Bank, Urinalysis and Serology. Analyzes, reviews, and reports test results and quality control results and takes remedial action when indicated. Ensures specimen integrity by adhering to the laboratory's procedures for specimen handling and processing. Adheres to departmental policies and procedures to include departmental programs, quality control, performance improvement, and safety. Performs all tasks in alignment with CAP standards. May supervises Medical Laboratory Technicians, Phlebotomists, and support staff in the absence of a supervisor or manager.
ESSENTIAL JOB RESONSIBILITIES:
Adheres to established quality control policies and procedures.
- Performs and documents required quality control per departmental policy
- Performs quality control review as assigned or per departmental policy.
- Performs and documents corrective action.
- Recognizes QC problems and notifies supervisor.
- Able to recognize shifts and trends and take appropriate corrective action.
- Demonstrates ability to solve problems and serve as charge tech in the absence of an on-site supervisor.
Performs routine and specialized test procedures.
- Completes work within assigned time.
- Requires minimal supervision.
- Work is accurate and neat. Requires very little rework.
- Takes responsibility for troubleshooting of instrument/method, quality control and specimen problems.
- Communicates problems to supervisor and/or next shift.
- Assists in training new personnel.
- Participates in development/correlation work for new methods/instruments.
- Performs work review and pending work review as required.
May perform phlebotomy as required.
- Properly identifies patient per hospital policies.
- Communicates with nursing before and after collection of in-patients to keep them informed and to communicate pertinent information regarding the patient.
- Utilizes AIDET and KWAKT effectively.
- Performs venipuncture with minimum discomfort to the patient.
- Labels specimens accurately at the bedside per policy.
- Transports specimens to the laboratory in a timely manner.
Consistently maintains work area.
- Checks work area daily and restocks supplies as needed.
- Notifies supervisor of ordering needs.
- Receives supplies and puts them in storage areas.
- Dates all stock with received and opened dates.
- Wipes down work area with disinfectant at least once per shift and documents.
- Performs and documents all required instrument maintenance.
Utilizes appropriate computer skills.
- Knows how to correctly receive specimens and print labels.
- Uses worksheets and pending work review routinely and appropriately.
- Enters QC data correctly.
- Enters and verifies patient data correctly, making less than 1 significant error per quarter.
- Assists in writing procedures and maintaining computer data base as needed.
- Knows how to look up patient data/reports.
Follows OSHA guidelines for PPE.
- Always wears appropriate lab coat in the work area.
- Wears gloves when handling specimens or in certain procedural steps.
- Utilizes face shields, goggles and movable shields at appropriate times.
Employee's conduct must reflect the Company's values and a commitment to the Code of Conduct ethics and compliance program.
Strictly adheres to all infection control policies.
Consistently utilizes exceptional customer service skills in interactions with patients, families, coworkers, vendors and customers.
Conducts work in alignment with the Mission, Values and Goals of the organization and the department.
Follows hospital and departmental policies and procedures.
- Meets attendance expectations as specified in the SDGH Policies and Procedures.
- Attends mandatory hospital in-services concerning Infection Control and Safety.
- Attends or reads minutes of each department meeting.
- Attends all required departmental in-services.
- Accepts and performs other assigned duties with a positive attitude, as requested and documented by the supervisor.
- Has demonstrated or provided proof of meeting all required/mandatory competencies.
- Annually reviews all safety and procedure manuals.
- Maintains the confidentiality of any information the employee has access to including but not limited to financial, patient records, employee records or any other information of a sensitive nature which if disclosed could cause harm to the hospital, patients, or staff.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Required: Bachelors degree in Medical Technology or a related field from an accredited university or college; computer skills; Graduation from a clinical rotation or internship in an accredited medical technology program or a 50-week military training course or an acceptable equivalent which results in eligibility to take the registry exam in Medical Technology (Clinical Laboratory Science).
Preferred: Two years experience in acute care hospital setting.
LICENSES AND CERTIFICATES:
Required: Registration as a Medical Technologist by ASCP, NCA, AMT or proof of eligibility. Evidence of a passing registry exam score must be presented within one year of hire or three successive offerings of the registry exam to remain employed as a medical technologist.
Our Company's recruiters are here to help unlock the next possibility within your career and we take your candidate experience very seriously. During the recruitment process, no recruiter or employee will request financial or personal information (Social Security Number, credit card or bank information, etc.) from you via email. The recruiters will not email you from a public webmail client like Gmail or Yahoo Mail. If you feel suspicious of a job posting or job-related email, let us know by clicking here.
For questions about your job application or this site please contact HCAhrAnswers at 1-844-422-5627 option 1.
Apply on company website