DescriptionSHIFT: No Weekends
St. David's South Austin Medical Center is part of St. David's HealthCare, one of the largest health systems in Texas, which was recognized with a Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award in 2014. St. David's South Austin Medical Center is an acute care facility with 316 beds, offering a range of complex specialties and sub-specialties, including a nationally accredited oncology program with the area's only adult bone marrow transplant program; a trauma program that includes all of the capabilities and programmatic elements of a Level II trauma center to treat the most severely injured and critical patients; a comprehensive cardiac program; full-service maternity and newborn care with Level I and II nurseries; and two full-service emergency centers in the communities of Bee Cave and Bastrop.
We offer you an excellent total compensation package, including competitive salary, excellent benefit package and growth opportunities. We believe in our team and your ability to do excellent work with us. Your benefits include 401k, PTO medical, dental, flex spending, life, disability, tuition reimbursement, employee discount program, employee stock purchase program and student loan repayment. We would love to talk to you about this fantastic opportunity.
The Histologist or Histology Technician performs technical functions of histology. Performs or assists in performing all functions related to preparation of specimen for pathologist examination, including gross examination, preparation and cutting of blocks, preparation and staining of slides. Maintains tissues, blocks, and slides after examination according to policy. Performs all safety, maintenance and quality control activities appropriate for the technical area.
- Together with the section supervisor keeps track of supply levels and requisitions supplies through lab manager.
- Performs and analysis using critical thinking skills Quality Control activities for the section, ensuring that these activities are complete, accurately filled out and performed in a timely manner.
- Ensures that all preventive maintenance and instrument performance checks are performed and recorded according to schedule according regulations
- Observes the quality of all histology slides prepared daily.
- Together with the section supervisor, monitors compliance with accreditation requirements.
- Trains or assists in training other employees in the procedures of that section
- In conjunction with the section supervisor is responsible for the formulation and execution of the policies and procedures for that section.
- Demonstrates good knowledge of the methods and techniques used in preparing surgical, cytologic and autopsy material and of basic laboratory techniques and equipment.
- Performs work accurately and precisely.
- Logs specimens accurately with patient data, specimen types and sources. Assigns surgical number.
- Assists the pathologist and pathologist assistant in gross examination.
- Embeds tissue specimens in paraffin blocks.
- Cuts quality sections using a microtome.
- Prepares, stains, and coverslips microscope slides for examination by the pathologist.
- Performs special stains on tissue specimens as directed by the pathologist.
- Uses all histology equipment according to standard technique and manufacturer's specifications.
- Prepares cytologic material for pathologist examination.
- Accurately prepares solutions and reagents according to standard formulas and/or written method procedures.
- Labels solutions according to agency standards with initials, date and content of solution.
- Observes and respects expiration dates on solutions and reagents.
- Files and stores slides and paraffin blocks for accurate and easy retrievability.
- Performs preventive maintenance on all histology equipment as required.
- Performs Quality control procedures consistent with acceptable practice and CAP or JCAHO requirements.
- Assists with bone marrow aspirations and biopsies, fine needle aspirations, and renal biopsies.
- Helps with pathology related paperwork.
- Processes specimens for referral to pathology consultants.
- Shows willingness and ability to trouble shoot instrument and procedure problems to resolution, with proper documentation.
- Requires minimal supervision and shows appropriate independent judgment in the daily performance of duties.
- Shows good productivity as judged by efficient use of time, and volume of work performed.
- Learns and adapts well to new instrumentation and techniques.
- Maintains a clean, safe and organized work area.
- Performs functions required for the laboratory pathology information system.
- Participates in providing inservice education for the laboratory and other hospital personnel.
- Demonstrate understanding of HCA's and “Patients First” safety initiative by strict compliance to all safety protocols and procedures.
LEVEL OF FORMAL EDUCATION REQUIRED:
Minimal requirements are those equivalent to CLIA requirements for testing personnel in a laboratory doing high complexity testing
-Education and training equivalent to an associate degree in histology or applied science
-A graduate of an accredited school or program of Histology or Pathology
PREFERRED: HT (ASCP) or HTL(ASCP)
EXPERIENCE REQUIRED: 1 year previous experience as a histology technician
Our Company's recruiters are here to help unlock the next possibility within your career and we take your candidate experience very seriously. During the recruitment process, no recruiter or employee will request financial or personal information (Social Security Number, credit card or bank information, etc.) from you via email. The recruiters will not email you from a public webmail client like Gmail or Yahoo Mail. If you feel suspicious of a job posting or job-related email, let us know by clicking here.
For questions about your job application or this site please contact HCAhrAnswers at 1-844-422-5627 option 1.
Apply on company website