Job Summary & Mission:
The Program Management Office supporting the Customer and Retail Technology (CRT) Team at Starbucks is looking for an experienced Manager of Program Managers to join our team. The CRT team is responsible for the product management, design and engineering of all customer facing digital products. This includes the Starbucks Rewards app, all digital consumer marketing platforms, the Point of Sale, and all customer facing software and hardware solutions in our stores.
This role is responsible for leading all portfolio planning (annual and quarterly) and accountable for the execution of all projects and programs in the Customer Technology portfolio. Responsibilities also include team management of 3 - 6 Program Managers, Project Managers and Project Coordinators. This role operates at both a strategic and a tactical level and requires a close partnership with IT and business stakeholders, collaboration on strategic and tactical program planning, project planning and execution, and project delivery. This management-level position also requires strong experience and capability in building and managing a Program Management Office.
Summary of Key Responsibilities:
Portfolio Planning and Execution:
- Leads annual operational and financial planning and quarterly reforecasting efforts for the IT program portfolio, requiring:
- Close collaboration with IT and business stakeholders on what new IT capabilities are required by the business
- Project cost estimation and capacity planning for the product management and product engineering teams who will deliver the capabilities
- Aggregated financial planning (including reforecasting) and prioritization for the portfolio.
- Supports ongoing CRT Intake Process by reviewing and assessing requests for new work submitted to CRT during the financial year. Assessment includes scoping all work for CRT Technology, high-level estimates for the work, and identifying what planned work would be impacted if the new request is prioritized in the portfolio.
- Develops and maintains a portfolio roadmap that illustrates in-flight and planned projects for the portfolio, highlighting known project dependencies and synergies within the projects and across Starbucks Technology.
- Oversees tactical planning and day-to-day management of the program portfolio, including portfolio financials, prioritization, and assignment of program managers, project managers and coordinators.
- Maintains a deep level understanding of projects within the program portfolio and their cross-program dependencies and synergies.
- Reviews and approves key project management deliverables for programs/projects within the portfolio and related or dependent projects in other portfolios. Provides feedback, coaching and guidance to the Program and Project Managers within their Portfolio team
- Drives program and project management, IT governance, and SDLC process improvement across the portfolio or across the PMO.
- Produces timely, transparent and informative program and project status reports and quarterly updates
- Ensure that business stakeholders and sponsor receive timely and accurate information about the progress and health of the program
- Builds a high performing program portfolio team by making good hiring decisions, setting clear individual and team expectations, holding team members accountable to their commitments, and fostering career growth.
- Actively participates in regular department talent planning discussions.
- Responsible for setting goals for the work group, developing organizational capability, and modeling how we work together:
- Identifies and communicates key responsibilities and practices to ensure the immediate team of direct reports promotes a successful attitude, confidence in leadership, and teamwork to achieve business results
- Supports the implementation of company programs to ensure the success of the Company.
- Leads by example – with compassion, courage, consistency and confidence and a strong sense of commitment and collaboration.
- Seeks and provides honest, transparent feedback.
- Drives decision-making that favors compromise and alignment over consensus-building.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Program Management Skills:
- Ability to learn business operations, policies, and processes enabled by the IT program portfolio quickly.
- Aptitude for program portfolio planning. This requires a deep understanding of road mapping, expertise in identifying project and program dependencies and synergies, and expertise in project prioritization and capacity planning.
- Expert-level knowledge of standards and practices for IT governance, and IT project lifecycle management activities and deliverables.
- Deep understanding of standard IT SDLCs, including Waterfall and Agile scrum.
- Deep understanding of project technical activities, including: (1) solution analysis and design; (2) enterprise, solution, and infrastructure architecture; (3) systems integration; (4) data conversion and migration; (5) environment management and build processes; and (6) deployment planning and execution.
Team Leadership and Communication Skills:
- Demonstrated experience creating a team environment of trust, integrity and positive collaboration
- Leads by example – with compassion, courage, consistency and confidence.
- Demonstrated experience in building effective teams including team coaching, providing feedback, and identifying developmental opportunities
- Ability to set clear and reasonable delivery expectations, challenging and inspiring their team to accountability for the success of their program including a strong understanding of the target business results.
- Strong facilitation and executive communication skills including demonstrated ability to lead teams through complex organizational and people dynamics, flexibility to accommodate diverse personality styles and remain neutral and balanced in all interactions.
- Demonstrates agility and integrity in a highly complex and changing work environment characterized by shifting priorities and tight deadlines, with little need for direct support.
- Ability to engage in difficult conversations that result in fact-driven, positive, actionable outcomes.
- Demonstrated ability to champion decision-making that favors compromise and alignment over consensus-building.
- Well-developed ability to ‘read the room', to know what is possible and what is not, and to know how to navigate both strategic and tactical engagements efficiently and effectively.
- Strong interview and assessment skills.
- Good written and verbal communication.
- Conducts and ensures the completion of performance reviews.
- Ensures partners adhere to legal and operational compliance requirements.
- Advanced skills in the MS Office Product Suite, particularly Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Expertise in MS Project (Project Server) and at least one program portfolio management tool, such as MS project Portfolio Management (PPM). Experience with ServiceNow project management a plus.
- Expert-level knowledge of and experience with standards and practices for technology project lifecycle management activities and deliverables. Formal training in traditional System Delivery Lifecycle practices, Agile and Digital Product Engineering a plus.
- Demonstrated experience leading Program Management Office functions and/or processes.
- Demonstrated experience leading annual and/or quarterly planning for a portfolio of IT projects.
- Minimum of two year's experience as a manager of senior project managers or program managers
- Minimum of four years' experience as a senior project manager or program manager in IT or a software development setting; must have at least six years overall experience working in IT or a software development setting.
- Experience using Agile methods and working on complex, integrated platforms required.
- Bachelor's Degree required; Master's Degree in Information Systems, Computer Science, Business Administration, or Management preferred.
- PMP, PgMP, and Scrum Master Certifications are a plus.
Starbucks and its brands are an equal opportunity employer of all qualified individuals.
We are committed to creating a diverse and welcoming workplace that includes partners with diverse backgrounds and experiences. We believe that enables us to better meet our mission and values while serving customers throughout our global communities. People of color, women, LGBTQIA+, veterans and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Qualified applicants with criminal histories will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with all federal state and local ordinances. Starbucks Corporation is committed to offering reasonable accommodations to job applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please contact us at 206-318-0660 or via email at email@example.com
Apply on company website